1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dried poo on the chicks bums?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gavbarker, Apr 29, 2007.

1. gavbarker

gavbarker Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    East yorkshire uk
    Hi i have 3 chicks at the moment 1 lightsusex and 2 marran but the 2 marrans have had dried poo on there bum for the last day so i tried puting warm water on it and takeing it off but it didnt work so i used the scisors to snip it off but had to cut a bit of the feathers around there will that be ok for them? That was the only thing i could do i didnt want to leave it any longer as i work with dogs and i know with them it gets bunged up and it can kill them after a few days if they carnt go to the toilet as it poissns them.

2. Weewanona

Weewanona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Wilburton, OK
    They will be fine. Less feathers = less for the poo to stick on. And they grow back. [​IMG]

3. chrissieg

chrissieg Chillin' With My Peeps

I tried to wash in off as well but it just turned into a pancake! You did just right. I'm afraid I just pulled it away gently and they lost a little down. It seems to be a thing they grow out of once they start preening themselves. Give then a week and they'll be nice to know! [​IMG]

4. gavbarker

gavbarker Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    East yorkshire uk
    Thats good if they growm back on they didnt seem too botherd when i did it but i wasnt botherd about a few missing feathers if it would stop them doing it every time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by