Dried poop in vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CheekyBabies, Feb 7, 2013.

1. CheekyBabies

CheekyBabies New Egg

Apr 20, 2012
    I have a 10 month old maran that is usually the leader of the flock but she had been hanging back and not acting her usual self for the last few days. The only thing I can see that is wrong is that she had dried poop in her vent. It is like cement and stuck to the inner tissue about 1/2 - 3/4 " from opening inward. It isn't blocking. She is still pooping but possibly straining a little or it is just the sensation that not everything has vacated and she keeps squeezing. Hope that description makes sense. Yesterday I tried soaking for a bit and putting olive oil on it. She is acting more herself today but I can't get it all off/out and the tissue looks a little inflamed right at edge. It is hard to tell exactly if it is all poop or maybe there is a small surface growth that is yellowish/brown and covered in poop??? Not sure exactly what I am seeing.

What more can I do or should I just continue washing and oiling for a few days? Is this a possible symptom of a larger problem that I should look out for?

Thank you for any help,
    Shannon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by