Dried up poop on hens butt

Vamvakas

Songster
8 Years
Sep 30, 2011
North Branford, CT
I have a flock of Australorps about 8 months old and one of the pullets has dried up white poop covering alot of her butt feathers..

The others don't have this issue, she eats/drinks fine, alert, and so signs of her being sick. I feed my pullets only layer pellets sometimes corn. Dose she have diarrhea? If so how can I treat it? Also a bit later on I am going to check her poop when she's on the roost and check to see any worms from her droppings.

Being dirty around the vent is not uncommon among chickens, especially in heavily feathered breeds or older birds. I would check to see if she has any sores or a continuous white discharge around her vent, though, as that could be a sign of vent gleet (a fungal infection). She probably doesn't have diarrhea, but if you want to strengthen her digestive system, try giving some probiotics, yogurt, or apple cider vinegar.

Some chickens have too much fluff around the vent, and will get dirty with any loose stools. Try trimming a bit of the fluff, and cleaning off the stool. If there is redness or bald patches there could be vent gleet, which is a fungal infection. Probiotics or a bit of plain yogurt a few times a week, plus creams such as miconazole, Nustock, or other antifungal creams may clear it up. A lot of white in the droppings is urine.

I just came back from closing the coops and I noticed she likes to sleep on a old nesting box that the chickens don't anymore and there is a lot of poop build up in the box and her butt was rubbing on it. I moved her away from that spot and tomorrow I am going to throw away the old nesting box.

I checked her vent and no redness, discharge, or anything weird. Her poop isn't wet, it's hard and don't see any worms in the poop. I think it was the poop box she liked to roost on.

Our buff Cochins have extremely poopy feathers too. No problems or illness just lots of poop buildup. We are in negative temps here so it's way cold!! I don't really want to get then wet or trim feathers because they need them!! The hens refuse to go out at all. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Our buff Cochins have extremely poopy feathers too. No problems or illness just lots of poop buildup. We are in negative temps here so it's way cold!! I don't really want to get then wet or trim feathers because they need them!! The hens refuse to go out at all. Any suggestions?
I know that one blogger gives her chickens a bath every time their butts get dirty, but that seems like a big pain. You could just cut the feathers slightly shorter around where the poop gets caught, so there's still feathers left to keep her butt warm, but keep poops off...

Back
Top Bottom