dried vs live mealworms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by iPeanut1990, Aug 23, 2014.

1. iPeanut1990

iPeanut1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Mine like both. I already buy live mealworms for my pet frogs and always have plenty for the chickens too but I was wondering if there's a nutritional difference that would be better for the chickens?

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Nutrtionally speaking and as a training tool, live superior. I have purchased dried that were either improperly stored should not have been packaged in the first place but that was the exception. I use primarily as a treat so nutritonal quality not that important so long as not over used.

3. iPeanut1990

iPeanut1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Well, I'm planning on switching my girls to Layena pellets once my bag of Dumor grower/finisher is gone and they start laying. They're about 13 weeks old right now so still have a little while before we get eggs plus have a whole bag of Dumor to go through still. I'm a little worried about feeding them a vegetarian feed so I'm planning on supplementing with meal worms for the protein. I was gonna throw a handful or 2 down with their scratch ( I have very small hands). Right now they get meal worms as a treat a few times a week.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Even though Layena is plant based only, it should be complete. Problem I have had with in past dealt with palatibility. That is one feed I employ the fermentation route with. You can also mix in a little chick grower for the animal protein which is more cost effective than mealworms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by