dried yolk looking stuff around vent UPDATE W/ PICTURE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by azhenhouse, Apr 2, 2011.

1. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    I have spent the last hour searching through old post trying to find out what might be wrong with one of my hens. I am not finding answers, so I have decided to post my own topic.

I have a nine month old, white rock who has this hard yellow stuff around her vent. Actually, it's more just below her vent. She is also missing feathers, like the ones in these pictures (I borrowed the picture below from someone else on this forum. I hope that is o.k.) The area of missing feathers on her is a little narrower than these girls, but they are missing straight down just like theirs. I discovered that she had a problem after one of the my other hens was pecking at her bottom, which is the only place she is missing feathers. Back in December she had a lot of feces on her back feathers, and I tried wiping it off but ended up cutting most of it off. Bad thing to do? Did I open her back side up to a parasite problem? I feed them layer feed (all day), oyster shells (all day), and scratch with cat kibble mixed in (once a day). They have been free ranging in my backyard recently, but during the cold winter they get fresh veggies, oatmeal, and yogurt. They have clean water with ACV added to it. They have been recently wormed. They were dusted with Seven dust a few months ago but I don't know if I did a very good job with that. After reading the warnings I was too afraid to use it [​IMG] You should have seen me all decked out with goggles, and mask, etc. They have daily access to ash, and they love to bath in it. She is not egg bound, and it is not yoke under her vent. She is our heaviest bird, and is still eating. I see no discomfort in her but her bottom is beginning to look very sore. Oh, and it smells very strange. I just thought of something else, we added a rooster to the flock in January. He has been doin' his thing with the girls, if you know what I mean. Could that be the problem?

[​IMG]

I can try to get my own picture if you think I need it. I would have already but she is a handful. Let me know.

HERE IS A PICTURE OF MY GIRL. I AM ALWAYS HAVING TO CLIP HER BOTTOM BECAUSE SHE GETS POOH ALL OVER HERSELF. I THINK THAT THE DARK STUFF COULD BE BLOOD, OR IT COULD BE POOH. HOWEVER, ONE OF OUR EGGS HAD BLOOD ALL OVER IT SO I AM THINKING BLOOD. WHAT IS THE YELLOW STUFF? COULD THAT BE LICE? LAST NIGHT IS WAS ALL OVER THE LOWER PART OF HER VENT. I RUBBED A BUNCH OF ASH ON IT, THAT'S ALL I HAD, AND TODAY THAT PART LOOKS BETTER BUT THERE IS STILL SOME YELLOW. I PLAN ON BRINGING HER IN TO CLEAN HER UP, IF IT IS LICE WILL MY FIVE WEEK OLD DUCKLING GET IT FROM HER. I HAVE TO BATHE HER IN THE SAME ROOM THEY ARE IN. THX

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    wow, sounds like you've done about everything. I hope someone can help you as I have no idea what else to try. [​IMG]

3. azhenhouse

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Hello out there...Anyone ever had this problem?

4. azhenhouse

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Bumping Up

5. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Yeast? Does it smell funky? I'd give her a nice warm epsom salts bath to help clean her up to start.

6. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Didn't this come up before? I think it had to do w/ urine???

7. bkwurth

bkwurth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    bump, I too need an answer for this. One of my hens are having the same (or similiar) problem.
    Thanks, Kathy

8. man-of-steel78

man-of-steel78 New Egg

Feb 11, 2011
    It looks like a skin problem. Did you try a triple antibiotic, like neosporin, on it? That would be my first thought.

9. azhenhouse

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Quote:It does smell! I will be bringing her in today, as soon as I make sure it is ok for the ducklings, for a bath.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by