drinker cups or poultry nipples

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jheem13, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Jheem13

Jheem13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    central oregon
    I live in Oregon where winters can become quite severe. Now I know either of these won't suffice during the cold, but I want suggestions on which you all would prefer. My flock is only 5 total.

2. Mikedero

Mikedero Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Watertown CT
    I have both for the spring, summer and fall. for the winter I use a 5 gallon bucket with water nipples under it and a bird bath warmer to keep the water from freezing

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I also have a 5-gallon bucket with three nipples and a 250W deicer that I use in the winter. It only got down to the upper teens this year so I can't say yet how far below that it will work but my ladies had water all winter with this simple setup. I do have the bucket in the coop but it's not heated or insulated so that's only wind protection.

4. Jheem13

Jheem13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    central oregon
    Perfect. This sounds like options that I can make work. The only thing I have left to do is see if any place locally has nipples and cups.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I couldn't find them anywhere locally and the people at the feed stores seemed to think I was joking when I asked if they had chicken nipples. Shipping was reasonable -- they do fine in a padded envelope.

6. cobbcruiser

cobbcruiser Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Atlanta Metro
    I ordered a set of nipples last week, so should get them this week - I found some with free shipping.

I've got several 5-gallon buckets so I can put one to good use... [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by