Drinking excessive

Chopper112

Chirping
Sep 2, 2018
I noticed this evening my 11/2 year old Easter Egger wouldn't stop drinking for almost 2 hours straight. Prior to that today I saw her in the coop looking for a place to possibly lay an egg. She was almost frantically running from one end of the nesting box to the other looking like she needed to lay an egg? Any suggestions on what could be wrong. I will examine her tomorrow morning, her crop, etc...

Cannyou check her crop to see if it might be impacted—full and hard? Impacted crop can sometimes cause them to drink a lot. Also she could be drinking because she is hot or dehydrated.

If you think that she might be getting ready to lay an egg or is eggbound, you can insert a clean finger into her vent an inch or two, to feel for an egg.

Cannyou check her crop to see if it might be impacted—full and hard? Impacted crop can sometimes cause them to drink a lot. Also she could be drinking because she is hot or dehydrated.

If you think that she might be getting ready to lay an egg or is eggbound, you can insert a clean finger into her vent an inch or two, to feel for an egg.
I will check in the morning. I doubt she is hot because are temps are only in the 50's right now. She kept on opening and closing her beak swallowing continously. She was fine yesterday. I'm pretty good a diagnosing them with an illness early on and pay close attention to behaviors, etc... I have 34 chickens, 11 different breeds. Love owning chickens. Have seen so many different conditions that I am always looking things up on the internet and on this site. I have also taken many to out Vet. She doesn't look egg bound, not the typical systems anyway. She hasn't gotten into anything toxic. I do give them all corid from time to time if I suspect a possible parasite. Nothing on her body, her skin is not yellow to rule out liver. This just came out of the blue. Thank you for responding. I will check her crop in the morning. If you have any other idea of what you think could be wrong I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Like I said she drank continously straight and only left the water because it was so dark she finally jumped on the roosting bar. I could see her swallowing. Poor girl!

I will check in the morning. I doubt she is hot because are temps are only in the 50's right now. She kept on opening and closing her beak swallowing continously. She was fine yesterday. I'm pretty good a diagnosing them with an illness early on and pay close attention to behaviors, etc... I have 34 chickens, 11 different breeds. Love owning chickens. Have seen so many different conditions that I am always looking things up on the internet and on this site. I have also taken many to out Vet. She doesn't look egg bound, not the typical systems anyway. She hasn't gotten into anything toxic. I do give them all corid from time to time if I suspect a possible parasite. Nothing on her body, her skin is not yellow to rule out liver. This just came out of the blue. Thank you for responding. I will check her crop in the morning. If you have any other idea of what you think could be wrong I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Like I said she drank continously straight and only left the water because it was so dark she finally jumped on the roosting bar. I could see her swallowing. Poor girl!
Also when I brought her up to the coop because she was the last one still down by the house drinking water I felt her crop some. I have heard of tipping them upside down to un lodge a crop and help them throw up. I did that and she threw up water. Her crop didn't feel super full, but I didn't really check it good. Squeeze it and move it around to dislodged anything. Just wanted you to know that also.

How did that hen do?
I noticed one of my Brahmas drink for a long time this morning. They haven’t started laying since I bought them (they are 2 years old but haven’t gotten over the move apparently). I wondered if it DID have something to do with egg laying.

How did that hen do?
I noticed one of my Brahmas drink for a long time this morning. They haven’t started laying since I bought them (they are 2 years old but haven’t gotten over the move apparently). I wondered if it DID have something to do with egg laying.
If a chicken hasn't laid an egg by 2 years old, I don't think it ever will.

May be unrelated but I had a cat drink water out of anxiety. It may help if you put an egg or egg like object in their nest boxes to encourage them to lay in the area. My chickens get frantic if I move a nest box or someone’s in their favorite nest and so putting one or two eggs in a nest box helps.

May be unrelated but I had a cat drink water out of anxiety. It may help if you put an egg or egg like object in their nest boxes to encourage them to lay in the area. My chickens get frantic if I move a nest box or someone’s in their favorite nest and so putting one or two eggs in a nest box helps.
Yeah, I did that. According to the previous owner they were great layers. They each layed one egg the day after I got them, which was in August. Nothing since.
The hen that was drinking excessively quit and acted normal later on.

Back
Top Bottom