drinking water

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by suburban, Dec 13, 2010.

1. suburban

suburban Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2010
    Perth, western Australia
    I never see my girls drinking any water. They have one of those upside down bottles which has a continuos supply. I noticed the other day that they went crazy when I spilled some water on the ground so now I put a little sprinkler in there to wet the ground a bit for them. I put a little bowl in there and they just tipped it over. In fact everything else I put in there gets tipped over or pooped in.

I live in Australia and we are coming into summer now so it will get quite hot.

Any suggestions?

2. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Chickens are pre-disposed to peck at the color red - try a red ring around the waterer's tip.

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    I don't know what type of waterer you are speaking of. I use buckets.

Bad news about water on the ground is they can pick-up cocci pretty fast that way.

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There have been several posts on here lately about chickens not using those waterers well. Some people said that even though they would drink from them, they would rush at a puddle or bowl of water and drink a lot. I tried to get a few chickens to drink from a rabbit waterer once (probably much like yours) and many of them would, but they preferred the regular waterer.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    It sounds to me like she was talking about a self-filling dog water-er. You know...you fill the bottle then put it upside down into the bowl and it fills as the bowl is emptied? OP can correct me if I'm wrong. If that is right, I'm not sure why they wouldn't want to drink out of it.

I bought a 2-gallon rubber water bowl at TSC. They drink out of it but drink from ANY other source first - I suspect that rubber bowl lends a slightly rubbery taste to the water that they don't like. Now that its winter I'm using a heated water bowl (plastic) and they certainly do drink from it.

To the OP, you might try putting out several different types of bowl in addition to the one you're using and see if they drink out of those more readily. Try putting one up on some bricks or paving stones to about their shoulder height, so they can reach in to drink but are less likely to poop in it or knock shavings into it.

6. kywest

kywest Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    central Ohio
    My chickens all drink from rabbit water bottles and a nipple waterer. However, they also rush a new dish of water like they are lost in the desert. I think it is a: novelty and b: just more satisfying to drink from a dish (Think: larger diameter straws at Mc Donald's;-) I choose to force them to drink from these other systems because it is far more sanitary and easier on me. I never lost a bird to dehydration due to refusing to drink! As long as they know where to get water, they will use it when needed. Do make sure that dominant birds aren't monopolizing the water source though. I have added an extra water source at times because of this problem.

7. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I've had good luck adding a few clean marbles to the water reservoir so that the chickens are interested in pecking the colors and realize that there's actually water in the dish!

8. suburban

Dec 13, 2010
    Perth, western Australia
    Quote:Yes that's right. I will try adding a couple of different sources.

What is cocci?

9. suburban

Dec 13, 2010
    Perth, western Australia
    So I tried about 10 different bowl, bottles and dishes. They love the orange frisbee! touble is it doesn't hold much water so I have to keep topping it up. Crazy birds!

10. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I always have lots of different water options for them, especially in the summer when it's hot; pool, regular waterers, bowls, hose etc... they love the hose the most! They all rush after the end of it like a giant worm, getting all wet... it's lots of fun. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by