Dripping Blood from rear

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thereverend, May 20, 2010.

1. thereverend

thereverend Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    I have a girl who is dripping blood and giving us eggs covered in blood. I assume these eggs are no good since the blood has been on them
    can you tell me if this is true and what is going on with her. She is bleeding and it does not seem to bet getting better. Her rear area is dirty and i dont
    know what to do with her please help is needed asap.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Is she being pecked by the others? Chickens tend to pick at the vent area a lot. You need to separate her until you can figure out where the blood is coming from or they'll kill her.

3. thereverend

May 15, 2010
    They are not bugging her right now. I really dont have anywhere to seperate her outside of letting her roam free range but then i am afraid something else will kill her.. How do you figure out what is wrong with her?

4. speckledhen

You're going to have to find out if the blood is coming from inside or from a wound near her vent. You have to look at her bottom and see. Chickens are cannibalistic and they will peck another to death if there is blood. If you have a dog crate, put her in it and get her out of the flock.

5. thereverend

May 15, 2010
    It appears that she has diarea as well but there is NO BLOOD in that.
    We seem to think it is coming from outside of her.. What are your feelings about her eggs ?
    should we keep them or dispose of them? they were stryped with blood

6. speckledhen

Blood won't hurt them, but you have bigger issues than whether or not to eat her eggs. She is probably wounded and needs to be separated from the rest. Is there a wound? Did you look? Where is it? Not enough information to help you. You have to look for a wound.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree with Cyn...you have much bigger problems than eggs with some blood on them. You need to find out ASAP where the blood is coming from and seperate her from the rest. Figure some way out to seprate her from the others.....she'll soon be dead if you don't.

8. thereverend

May 15, 2010
    I did take a look as best i can and i dont see a wound . There is a WHITE color gunk on her fathers almost like a PUSS looking item.
    I am going to buy a crate for her today to put her in. I also need to know how to clean her off. Do i use a garden type sprayer
    to gently wash her bottom off? Its hard to see past all that stuff coming out of her.. I have noticed that when she gets excited she
    does bleed ... i dont know if that helps at all.

9. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    It may help to get good responses and advice if you answer the questions in the sticky at the top of the emergencies thread!

10. thereverend

May 15, 2010
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    A: ROAD ISLAND RED

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    A:Blood dripping out Rear end of chciken as well as white PUSS looking stuff

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    A: Since we got her about 1 week ago

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    A: Bleeding As Mentioned Above

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    A: Only Stress from transporting 15 miles

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    A: Feed from Tractor Store has, Corn, Grit Feed ect in it.. Yellow bag

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    A: Runny

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    A: None Dont know what to do..

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    A: Treat ourselfs.

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    A: Ill try to get one on here

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    A: Hay, Grass

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by