Dripping nipple waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Zoom Zoom, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2014
    Rolla, MO
    Hi All, Last week we made two nipple waterers, the kind that drip from the bottom of the bucket. The day after we installed them in the coop I noticed damp spots below the waterers and found the water level to be below the top of the nipples on the inside of the buckets. We thought the nipples weren't seated in good so siliconed around the nipples on the outside of the bucket. I just hung them on the porch to see what they would do and all nipples immediately started dripping, one leaks constantly. Is this normal? I don't see how it could be or everyone would have damp bedding. Did I just buy two pkts of bad nipples? If anyone has had this problem, is there a way to stop the leaks? Maybe I did something wrong but don't think so; followed instructions precisely.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is the drip coming from where the nipple is threaded in......or from the inside of the nipple like the valve is not working?

I think they have to have a certain amount of pressure against them to stay closed, how big and full is bucket?

Maybe post some pics.

3. Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2014
    Rolla, MO
    The drip is coming from the nipple. As soon as I touched them a drop came out then another, then another. We're using a four gallon bucket and it was about half full. I'll try filling it completely tomorrow to see what happens. If it continues, I'll attach pics. Thanks

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you live where it freezes, you might want to look at the horizontal nipples as they are less likely to drip and less likely to freeze.

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I had the same dripping issue with the vertical nipples. As aart says, I changed to horizontal nipples and never had another problem. The other reason I prefer the horizontal ones is because I can set the bucket flat on the ground to clean it if it needs it and to fill it. Much easier to work with. This will be our first winter using them, but the majority of folks who do say that a small heater in the bucket can help with freezing issues. I'll let you know come February and a couple of weeks of temps in the minus teens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by