Dripping Poultry Nipples, the bane of my existence.

dianaross77

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 10, 2010
Grand Blanc, MI
I purchased threaded poultry nipples on ebay designed for gravity watering systems. The drip constantly even when installed properly. They're not leaking, they are dripping from the hole where the water is supposed to come out. Is this really as good as it gets? Should they be dripping like that? I assumed water would only be coming out when they were being used but it doesn't seem to stop. It may seem silly to complain about a drip (1-2 drops/second) but when you have 3 nipples in use, that makes quite a mess. HELP?

I have lots of waterer nipples around the coops and yard. The only times I've had problems with leaking is with the ones that are a couple years old, or with those that I didn't take the time to put a silicone (or waterproof glue) seal around the base of the waterer when I installed it.

I don't have any pics of them installed. I took them off used silicone and teflon tape but they are dripping around the metal pin. We took them off and installed them on a plastic chick feeder jar and the same thing happened. If you dry it off and pull the pin down straight it drips really slowly but once you peck at them they just keep dripping. I guess they're just poor quality. One cracked in half while I was screwing it in to the pvc. That should've been my first clue. I ordered 3 different kinds from QC. Now I wait.

The should not drip, and ours don't. I had purchased them from Amazon.

I would order new nipples and make sure they are from a supplier that has some reviews of their product you can read.

I was afraid if I did it myself I wouldn't get it quite right so someone on here suggested Amazon. They had one already assembled with 4nipples in a 2 1/2 gallon bucket for $16.99 so far no leaking. Maybe the threading tape isn't wrapped around enough?

Quote:
I have a five gallon (toooo large) and only keep it 2/3 full. they do need a volume of water to keep the pressure on the pins.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. The container is 4 feet of 4" pvc so I'm pretty sure pressure on the pins wasn't the issue. I guess the old saying you get what you pay for is definitely true.

Back
Top Bottom