Dripping Poultry Nipples, the bane of my existence.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dianaross77, Jul 14, 2011.

1. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I purchased threaded poultry nipples on ebay designed for gravity watering systems. The drip constantly even when installed properly. They're not leaking, they are dripping from the hole where the water is supposed to come out. Is this really as good as it gets? Should they be dripping like that? I assumed water would only be coming out when they were being used but it doesn't seem to stop. It may seem silly to complain about a drip (1-2 drops/second) but when you have 3 nipples in use, that makes quite a mess. HELP?

2. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    They should not drip.

Do you have pictures of them installed?

3. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    I have lots of waterer nipples around the coops and yard. The only times I've had problems with leaking is with the ones that are a couple years old, or with those that I didn't take the time to put a silicone (or waterproof glue) seal around the base of the waterer when I installed it.

4. dianaross77

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I don't have any pics of them installed. I took them off used silicone and teflon tape but they are dripping around the metal pin. We took them off and installed them on a plastic chick feeder jar and the same thing happened. If you dry it off and pull the pin down straight it drips really slowly but once you peck at them they just keep dripping. I guess they're just poor quality. One cracked in half while I was screwing it in to the pvc. That should've been my first clue. I ordered 3 different kinds from QC. Now I wait.

5. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    The should not drip, and ours don't. I had purchased them from Amazon.

I would order new nipples and make sure they are from a supplier that has some reviews of their product you can read.

6. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    How big are you containers? They should have enough water to keep pressure on the nipples, but mine in 2 gallon buckets do not leak either.

7. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    I was afraid if I did it myself I wouldn't get it quite right so someone on here suggested Amazon. They had one already assembled with 4nipples in a 2 1/2 gallon bucket for $16.99 so far no leaking. Maybe the threading tape isn't wrapped around enough?

8. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Quote:I have a five gallon (toooo large) and only keep it 2/3 full. they do need a volume of water to keep the pressure on the pins.

9. ~KH~

~KH~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Southern CA
    I bought mine from a fellow BYC-er and they don't leak. Currently, I have them on plastic drink bottles (maybe 24 -32 oz size).

10. dianaross77

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. The container is 4 feet of 4" pvc so I'm pretty sure pressure on the pins wasn't the issue. I guess the old saying you get what you pay for is definitely true.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by