Dripping vent

crazy4hens4ever

Hatching
Sep 24, 2016
What would cause a hens vent to continually drip? Back story: about 2 weeks ago I adopted 2 hens (3yrs old) who were in a space much too small with too many chickens. They have no feathers on their hind ends
1f633.png
. The day I got them I began to put 1 teaspoon of sulfadimethoxine powder into their 1 gallon water can. I did this for 1 week every day and plan on doing it every other day for the next 2 weeks. Also been given them 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt mixed with about 2 tablespoons of sweet corn from my freezer every morning to help replace the flora in their gut.
I've had them for 2 weeks and while there is improvement the one hen still drips from her vent.
I felt sorry for these hens and after we were down to one hen I decided to adopt them...I'm beginning to regret it!

What would cause a hens vent to continually drip? Back story: about 2 weeks ago I adopted 2 hens (3yrs old) who were in a space much too small with too many chickens. They have no feathers on their hind ends
1f633.png
. The day I got them I began to put 1 teaspoon of sulfadimethoxine powder into their 1 gallon water can. I did this for 1 week every day and plan on doing it every other day for the next 2 weeks. Also been given them 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt mixed with about 2 tablespoons of sweet corn from my freezer every morning to help replace the flora in their gut.
I've had them for 2 weeks and while there is improvement the one hen still drips from her vent.
I felt sorry for these hens and after we were down to one hen I decided to adopt them...I'm beginning to regret it! Welcome to BYC.

Can you post some photos?

If you have other chickens, continue to keep them quarantined. You may also want to consider extending your quarantine time beyond 30days since you immediately started giving treatment before you were able to confirm any illness.

Pasty white back side sounds like Vent Gleet.

Give them a good cleaning up so you can see what's going on. If it is vent gleet then apply some anti-fungal cream to their vents.

Here's reading for you:
http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/
http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/09/vent-gleet-symptoms-causes-and-natural.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt

Hello there and welcome to Backyard Chickens! You have gotten some solid advice from Wyorp, so I will just say hi and wish you the best of luck with your hens!

Maybe consider taking the one hen with the dripping vent to the vet?, if they could test her fluid you whould be able to get a clear answer this way? , it's possible she may have an infection...reproductive possibly?, is she laying at all?

Thanks everyone. I do think it's gleet. Began treating them with 1T plain yogurt with some powder probiotics mixed in every morning and fresh gallon of water with 1/4c organic apple cider vinegar with the mother every day. Hopefully it will clear up so they can grow some feathers on their bottoms before the Michigan winter comes!

Thanks everyone. I do think it's gleet. Began treating them with 1T plain yogurt with some powder probiotics mixed in every morning and fresh gallon of water with 1/4c organic apple cider vinegar with the mother every day. Hopefully it will clear up so they can grow some feathers on their bottoms before the Michigan winter comes!

Hope you see some improvement soon.
Keep us posted on their progress.

Back
Top Bottom