drippy bullseye thingy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by firechicken, Jan 16, 2008.

1. firechicken

firechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Covington, GA
    Ok, so I have seen my rooster doin his thing with one of my hens. I have been checking the eggs for the bullseye to see if my little bantam can do his job with the big girls. (bantam hen isnt laying) It looks like the white dot or bullseye is dripping down the side of the yolk. Cant tell if its just a dot or bullseye.

So my question is, is this normal for the white thingy to run down the side of the yolk? All my eggs are this way.

Edited to add that they just started laying last month. Could it just be a pullet thing?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could you post a picture of what you mean? Not quite sure.

3. firechicken

Jul 11, 2007
    Covington, GA
    I'll get a pic when I get another egg. I ate my last two eggs for breakfast this morning.

Just to try and explain a little better, the white dot and or bulls eye thing is not on the yolk anymore. It looks like it ran down the side of the yolk and is puddled up at the bottom of the yolk.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think you may be talking about the strands (chalaza) that hold the yolk in the middle of the egg. Sign of one fresh egg there! It's often white and spirally.

5. speckledhen

Have you used a spoon and tried to flip it over some? Maybe it is just contacting part of the chalazae or the, gee, I cant think of what to call it, LOL. The blastoderm isn't always on top of the yolk. Sometimes I have to use a spoon to flip it over because it ends up on the underside of the yolk when I break it into a bowl. Maybe it's on the side and just coming in contact with another part, making it appear to be "drippy". Gee, trying to say what I mean in this post isn't working, LOL!!!

6. firechicken

Jul 11, 2007
    Covington, GA
    I will try flipping it over when I get one. (duh, why didn't I think of that? lol)
    Silkie may be right, my eggs usually get eaten the day after they are layed so they are always super fresh. So if the chalaza is a sign of a fresh egg then that may be what I am seeing. Thank you ladies, always glad to learn something new and to get a little common sense advice that I may have been lacking. [​IMG]

7. firechicken

Jul 11, 2007
    Covington, GA
    Thanks speckled, I flipped the yolk over and sure enough there it was. One of the two eggs I got today seemed to be fertilized and one didn't. Now I just need to figure out which one is the lucky lady. Maybe I can try out my coolerbator soon.

8. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Sorry for butting in and posting a dumb question....but what is the bullseye thing, and how do you find it...? It's so nice to learn this stuff, like what was posted above...the chalaza something, that would probably be the weird little white thing that I have been known to pick out 'cause I thought it was gross [​IMG][​IMG]

Dawn

9. speckledhen

10. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Thank you Speckledhen, you have been patient with my questions [​IMG]

I can't say I've ever noticed that before; I'm going to have to watch for it next time I break open an egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by