drippy poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ole rooster, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I have a BO that I've been noticing what I think is a problem. I've noticed in the coop every morning, under the roost, the line of poop from everybody I've noticed most is normal. One spot it's sorta sprayed in the sand. I don't see this every morning but the poop outside from someone is loose. I have to assume it's the same pullet. I see now the guilty one has a very thin streak of poop down her backside feathers. Any idea what my problem is?

2. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Is she lethargic? acting differently, eating, drinking normally?

3. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Everything seems to be normal with her activity. Eats like all the rest just the poop is runny. Enough that it's caused a streak down her rear end.

4. mcjessen

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Not sure I have any answers other than wait and see. What are you feeding her exactly? Have there been any stressful events recently?

5. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    They roam all day. I feed layer pellets and dried meal worms once a day. Although she has started staying away from the rest and don't come for the meal worms. She acts like a loner, very offish.

6. mcjessen

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    I would just keep an eye on her at this point. It sounds really similar to the start of what I am dealing with. In my symptom research I found that if your chickens free range they have the opportunity to pick up parasites/worms. You might try worming the flock to see if she perks up a bit. She may be beginning to show signs of infestation.

Please keep in mind I am NO expert. I'm in fact, extremely frustrated by all the conflicting information out there. I believe that my girl is suffering from gape worm which started with symptoms of lethargy, no laying and reduction in eating. She too started to isolate herself from the other two throughout the day.

So don't panic at this point but keep an eye on her.

7. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    I have the same problem with my BO! She acts fine and is healthy, yet she has runny poop. Hope we can find out what this is. [​IMG]

8. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I just read about gape worms. It said they were worms of the trachea. They cause a hindrance of breathing. The infected chickens have problems breathing and the external indentity is the chicken will throw it's head back and gasp for air. My pullet is not doing that one so I don't know what it is now.

9. HennyPennyHenHouse

HennyPennyHenHouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    My chickens had runny poop also but acted fine. I was advised to try changing the brand of food. I did and the runny poop stopped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by