driveway gravel

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tyndall, Apr 1, 2012.

1. tyndall

tyndall Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2012
    Hi,
    I'm new with this and am building a coop inside my barn. The chickens will exit the coop and be under the barn overhang (formerly used to shelter equipment) then they will be able to go onto a grass run. The overhang section they first go onto (about 8x8') has deep driveway gravel. Do I need to remove this gravel? Will it damage their feet? Thanks so much to anyone who will answer my silly questions.

2. wcstory

wcstory Out Of The Brooder

Our girls have 3/8" pea stone in their run. We annexed dog pen area for a larger run. They love to dig and forage in the stone on days when we keep them in.

See how they do with the larger stone before you make any changes. If they avoid the area maybe you can add some finer stone to the area.

I have found the stone makes a great base. Even heavy rains dissapear fast, no mud and a ligh raking turns the minefield under fast.

3. tyndall

Apr 1, 2012
    Thanks so much! I'll leave as is but once I get it enclosed with wire, if I need to remove it, it will be more difficult.

4. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    maybe give them a walkway across the gravel to the run area. that way if they don't like the gravel, they can by-pass it & you're saved some labor.

5. tyndall

Apr 1, 2012
    Great idea!!! Sometimes the obvious alludes me : >

6. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Mine love to play in gravel they are always in my ditchs or on my driveways.

7. tyndall

Apr 1, 2012
    Good to hear. Maybe mine will like it too. I have 6 Silkies - 1 wk. old.

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have gravel,sand,wood chips....you name it.They seem to like digging in or sitting on all of it.

9. tyndall

Apr 1, 2012
    Thanks for the info. I'm just hoping my Silkie chicks survive another week, then I'll move them to the coop, then 2 more weeks and they can tryout this gravel.

10. Rvl Rookie

Rvl Rookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Russellville, MO
    My guys really enjoy my driveway;

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by