Driving 3+ hours to bring home chicks ??? Preparation?

snuzulooz

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
On Monday we will be traveling about 3.5 hours to bring home 3 (maybe 4) chicks from Meyer hatchery. We are driving because of our rural location. Shipping the required number from the mail order places of chicks for safe shipping would have left us with too many chicks.

So, we elected to drive to a hatchery -Meyer is the closest. So, that being said we are picking the chicks up and driving straight home.

Do I need to prepare in any way to keep them warm or should I assume they will be packed appropriately for a long drive? The lady on the phone told me that as long as we didn't run the air they should be fine.

I did place an order with mypetchicken, which I ended up canceling because the required number of chicks for shipping kept increasing, when I spoke with the lady on the phone from there she said I should bring an inverter and a heat light in the car to keep the chicks warm during the drive home from the post office. Those chicks were being shipped to nearest large city (2 hours away).

I hate to drive a couple hundred miles and have the chicks not make it due to not being warm enough.

Just fretting...

Thanks!!!

they will be in a little shipping carton, bring along a hot water bottle with a thermos full of hot water. They may even let you fill it at the hatchery! Then on the way home, stop at a 7-11 or any coffee type place, and tell them why you need hot water, i bet they will gladly provide!
just place the water bottle under half or 3/4 of the box (depending on how hot the water is, you should be fine.)
OR....since your just bringing home a few wee babes, stuff em in your bra (or down your undershirt if your a fella)
wink.png

Put them in a container or cardboard box lined with a towel. Put the box of chicks on the floor of your passenger side seat, and crank on your car's heater. They'll be nice and toasty.

We don't require you to pick up orders of less than 25 chicks like other hatcheries. We can ship just 3 to any location. Just a thought, if you didn't want to make the trek, although, we do have an amazing store with all things poultry!

You would have to call us ASAP to change your order to shipment vs. pick up.

You could try the heat packs that folks use to warm their hands while hunting. Obviously, you'll want to wrap them in something so the chicks don't get overheated if they lay up against it (maybe put the hot hands packs into some old socks).

Thank you all for the great suggestions!!! Will head out this weekend for a few hand warmers.

Meyer Hatchery - Thank you for answering my question directly
smile.png
We have decided to drive and make a family trip of it.

Your staff was awesome on the phone when I placed the order!!! We really want to see the store and hit Lehman's on the way over as well!

The kids are home/cyber schooled so it will be a field trip of sorts
wink.png

Last edited:
snuzulooz, it could be really risky to go to the hatchery with the intention of getting "just three, maybe four" chicks. I'm just wondering how you are going to prepare yourselves to prevent coming home with "10, maybe 12"? They are unbelievably cute and then there are all those cool breeds to choose from. I don't think I could do it. But also, you know that chicks are shipped thousands of miles under less scrupulous conditions and for the most part do very well. They should be fine. Have fun!!

Back
Top Bottom