1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Driving in FOG?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mattemma, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    What do you do when you are driving in fog that is soooooo thick you can not see anything at all?

We have had about 4 foggy mornings,but you could see while driving in them. I could see all the other cars when they were close. Yesterday I drove into a fog that was so thick I saw absolutely nothing and I was so scared.The road was 4 lanes with a middle turn lane.Traffic lights were often due to shops,and the speed limit was 40. I had my lights on and hazzards,but after 20 feet of not being able to see the cars or lights I gave up and got off the road and tried a different route.

When I got off I noticed that most drivers were still going 40mph. I guess that is the expected *rule* to keep going fast even though you can't see a darn thing?!!?!? Are there even rules for this? Only things I know are lights for fog and rain,and hazzard lights when you go under the speed limit.

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Get off the road and wait it out, your life and the life of others is not worth it. Pull off into a parking lot or side road, do not stay on the shoulder-----you will get rearended.

Don't be one of those idiots in a "Ghost train of death" speeding in the fog barely seeing the tail lights in front of you that you would have no chance of braking in time for.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Quote:Get off the road and wait it out, your life and the life of others is not worth it. Pull off into a parking lot or side road, do not stay on the shoulder-----you will get rearended.

Don't be one of those idiots in a "Ghost train of death" speeding in the fog barely seeing the tail lights in front of you that you would have no chance of braking in time for.

X2 to the tenth power. It's never safe to drive in fog that thick.

4. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, get off the road.. Take a different route, or wait till it's gone..

Last year we had a pile up of over 100 cars on my way to work.. So happy I didn't go that day!!!

5. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Yikes! ghost train of death, what an image.

Yup, my first set of grey hairs was driving in fog. First of all, we were driving in scattered am fog, no big deal. Then, just before the first light in town, where we turn left onto the big four-lane with suicide turn lane, there was this wall of fog such as seen in horror movies. Thoroughly spooked in the dark morning, I inched up to the light and stared at the barely visible red, watched it turn green. And sat there for about a half minute for no particular reason other than I didn't like it. Then, through this massive wall of fog blasts a vehicle, at least 40mph, completely oblivious that they'd had a red light. Geez.

Needless to say, I not only drive in fog only when I can see to stop myself, but to give me enough time to dodge the other nut jobs out there.

6. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Where I lived in California we had tule fog. I hated to drive in it and generally didn't but on the occasions I got stuck in it I found I could drive if I watched the white line on the edge of the road. If you pull off on the shoulder TURN OFF YOUR TAILLIGHTS. If other drivers see your tail lights they will think you are on the road and moving. And then they will plow into you.

7. Eznet2u

Eznet2u Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Mattemma, Please do not use your Hazard lights. They are much brighter than your normal lights,
    and tend to blind the driver behind you. I had to follow someone for 15 miles in the fog that had
    their hazards on...couldn't see anything for a few hours afterwards. The key is just to maintain a
    below average speed, and keep scanning the road in front of you, as well as behind you. If you
    start to see someone coming up fast, just tap your brake lights. This will let the driver behind you
    know that you're there, without blinding them.

Cassie, Where did you live in California? We normally get between 75 and 80 days of very thick
    "Tule" fog. (It hugs the ground). You get used to driving in it. I had to commute 40 miles in it
    everyday for a few years. Sometimes that 45 minute drive would take an hour and forty-five minutes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by