Driving MS. Daisy Crazy....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Redfeathers, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    My buff Polish Girl is about to lay her second egg I think. I was out cleaning the coop and had the door open for them to go rummage around the yard and in the trees like they love to do. Daisy came back to the coop and scratched around the nest boxes making a racket, she would act like she was about to lay...in came Onslo my rooster, he saw that she was fussing and it seemed to set off some kind of "expectant father" gene in him or something. He went from nest box to nest box and made little circular nests for her, he scratched and fussed and made a big deal out of it. He did the Look look look sound he does when he finds them a treat after each nest. She would come check it out, lay down for half a second and then get up and fuss again. He would try again and lay down in the nest himself trying to get her in with him. Is this normal? I had no idea roosters did this kind of thing, I'm still new to the whole chicken thing. Anyway, she started acting like he was beginning to tick her off and she went out of the coop but would come right back in and start over again. I just think it's so sweet of him to be doing this, but whats he going to be like when all his ladies start laying? I think he will take off for the local sports bar when that happens...lol

I just was curious if anybody else has a crazy rooster like me.

2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    LOL, that's one gentleman you have there. When they all start, he is sure to head for the hills..... [​IMG]

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    That is perfectly normal for a good rooster. My Dot will go from nest to nest in each house until he finds that perfect nest that makes his hens happy. Most times once the hen is settled, he sits on the side of the nest or beside the hen(if room) and wait with her.

This is Dot

Matt
    Morganton, NC

4. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Dot is stunning!

I'm glad it's normal, I think he is a good boy but I wasn't sure if he should be doing that. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by