Drooling and shaking head

wolf-deer88

Songster
Jan 27, 2022
Dixieland where I was born
I got my 11-12 week old chicks out to play this morning, and once I picked one up, saliva just poured out of her beak. She'll shake her head too, but I never thought anything of it. What could be her problem? Thanks in advance.

Like this:

1651580374004.png

There is that possiblity that I did apply pressure to her crop, if I did it was totally subconscious. I will definitely make an effort to avoid doing it. 😬 She started drooling when I shifted to one hand and held her on her side to free my right hand. Will do. Should I not feed her again today? Right-o. Thanks so much for your reply!

This was right after I fed and watered them. Does that mean I'm feeding them too much? Thanks for your reply!
As long as they're not meat birds, they should be able to control how much they eat, unless they've went a long time without food and water. Since they're still small at that age, you probably just put a little pressure on her crop, causing it to spill out. This can be dangerous, so you probably just want to be extra careful handling them after eating and drinking, making sure you avoid their crop 😊

Yes, you should feed her. Provide feed free choice.

Feel of her crop tonight when she goes to bed (at dusk), then first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink all night. The crop should be empty or flat in the morning.
IF it's not empty in the morning, then let us know.

I think what happened is you accidentally pressed on the crop when handling her. Chickens don't have a gag reflex so the content of the crop can easily be pressed out. If she had just filled up on food and water that can happen sometimes.

Sudden movement can cause it to spill out as well. If she wants to eat, let her eat. As long as her crop is functioning well by clearing overnight, I wouldn't withhold anything. Make sure they have water throughout the day too. Please let us know if you continue to see this or if you find one morning that her crop didn't clear overnight

Edited: My apologies. I didn't realize Wyorp was replying. Definitely take her advice over mine as I have learned a lot from her 💜

As long as they're not meat birds, they should be able to control how much they eat, unless they've went a long time without food and water. Since they're still small at that age, you probably just put a little pressure on her crop, causing it to spill out. This can be dangerous, so you probably just want to be extra careful handling them after eating and drinking, making sure you avoid their crop 😊
Yeah, they're not meat birds. Okay. Got it! Thank you so much!!! Y'all both have been must helpful!

Yes, you should feed her. Provide feed free choice.

Feel of her crop tonight when she goes to bed (at dusk), then first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink all night. The crop should be empty or flat in the morning.
IF it's not empty in the morning, then let us know.

I think what happened is you accidentally pressed on the crop when handling her. Chickens don't have a gag reflex so the content of the crop can easily be pressed out. If she had just filled up on food and water that can happen sometimes.
Okay. I definitely will.

Phew! So glad it was nothing too serious!
Sudden movement can cause it to spill out as well. If she wants to eat, let her eat. As long as her crop is functioning well by clearing overnight, I wouldn't withhold anything. Make sure they have water throughout the day too. Please let us know if you continue to see this or if you find one morning that her crop didn't clear overnight

Edited: My apologies. I didn't realize Wyorp was replying. Definitely take her advice over mine as I have learned a lot from her 💜
Okay! I will!

It's all good! Y'all basically said the same thing, great minds think alike! Thank y'all so much!!! I really appreciate it, guys!!!

Back
Top Bottom