drooling chicken

Rudy Rooster

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 12, 2009
I am really new at this. Hens doing fine until cold hit. I have isolated a hen that was opening its mouth and I heard a gurgle. It is drooling. Trying to eat and drink. Looks or sounds like someone with a horrible cold with a lot of mucus. Stool started to be more watery today. I have had her in isolation for 3 days now. Thoughts? Are we just waiting for her to pass on? I don't know what to do or expect. Thanks

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC!!
yippiechickie.gif

I am sorry that your first post is for a sick chicken!!!
hugs.gif

I do not have the experience to answer your question -- I hope that some folks with more knowledge will follow on!!

Again -- Welcome --- There are lots of folks here who know lots about chickens!!!

Cindy

Last edited:
Thanks. I have been learning a lot from this site. It is great. 2 months ago I got 9 chickens and a rooster. We have been learning a lot. Lots of fun. Got a bator. Put 7 eggs in. Candled yesterday. Looks like 4 of 7 are alive. They are due in a week. We have a nice warm place ready for them. I would just like to figure out about the sick hen.

I had to look in the glossary to see what a crop was. Now I know. Yes, a possible crop problem. There seems to be a lump around the lower neck. It is hard and feels like small rocks are in there. If that is where the crop would be located. Can a crop get clogged up?

Yes, the crop can get "impacted" and then the food in it rots and the chicken's breath smells sour.

My chicken Nugget died today from crop problems.

She started with the drool, and would move her head back and forth, then if I picked her up too fast and held her under her crop, she would "vomit". Her crop got really big and swollen, not as hard as a classic "impacted crop" but softer like a "sour crop".

When this happens the chicken usually starts to lose weight, since no food can get past the swelling or obstruction in the crop. They starve to death.

You can check to see if it is a crop problem by feeling her crop in the morning. It should be empty and small (compare how it feels to your other chickens for reference).

Nugget got sick first from eating grass, then straw, then pine shavings, then leaf litter that blew into the run. She just couldn't stay away from shreds of plastic, pieces of old string, or anything else that can clog up a chicken.

I recommend reading about crop problems here on the stickies and on the FAQ and then checking dlhunicorn's site at http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi.

Good
luck, and I hope it is just a passing chicken infection.

Back
Top Bottom