1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Drooling Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chuckaloo Lover, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Chuckaloo Lover

Chuckaloo Lover New Egg

Jul 5, 2012
    Hi

Went to let my ladies out this morning and one of my birds (A Hamburg) couldn't get over the perch to come out. She has lost all energy, drooling excessively, got a black substance on her beak, shaking her head and making a gurgling sound. She also feels cold and seems confused. Pecking at everything that she wouldn't normally bother with.

I have separated her from the others and brought her inside where it is warm (we are quite cold here in England now). She has food and water and appears to have had some.

I'm really upset as I haven't ever seen this before. I always seem to lose my favorite hens too! This one was sat on my shoulder yesterday while I was sorting out food and water for them!

Appreciate any help/advice.

Lisa x

2. lorijohnson823

lorijohnson823 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2012
    Calhoun, KY
    Any chance she got into a substance that's poision?

3. litmisredneck

litmisredneck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2012
    Pierson Fl
    Sounds like she got into something that she should not have. I have no advice to help, but search on here and you might find some help.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It sounds like she *might* have something stuck in her esophagus.

[​IMG]

If she doesn't, this is what *I* do when one is not quite right...

• Do thorough exam. Check for lumps, bumps, cuts bruising, watch walk (if they can). Pray for poop. Poop can give many clues.
    • Weigh them on a kitchen scale to get baseline weight and then weigh daily.
    • If no cuts are present, dust for mites/lice, even if I cannot see them. Dust bird outside.
    • Deworm with Safeguard for goats (fendendazole) at the rate of .5cc/kg using a 1cc syringe without needle.
    • Bring inside and provide heat source and place on light colored towel. A warm bird is more likely to perk up and eat a little than one that's chilled.
    • If the bird is not drinking and the crop is empty, I will tube feed it a small amount of lactated ringers solution (LRS) or Pedialyte. Sometimes I'll do sub-q fluids instead. Never force feed or water a chilled bird.
    • If the bird does not start eating, and the crop has cleared, I will tube feed small amounts of baby bird food mixed with Pedialyte or LRS.
    • Once I have a good poop to look at, I might give an antibiotic.

Note that giving medicine orally and tube feeding can kill a bird if not done correctly. Here are a couple of links for you to look at:
    http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?t=7933
    http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/24/

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    In the UK there are vets everywhere that work for a fraction of what it costs here in the States. Take her to a vet. (I fear the black you are seeing may be old blood.)

6. Chuckaloo Lover

Chuckaloo Lover New Egg

Jul 5, 2012
    Many thanks everyone. She has perked up on her own but I am still keeping her inside and watching her. It's a complete mystery as to why she became so unwell but I hope she is over it now.

Casportpony, I will keep a copy of those links as I'm sure that I will need to use them at some point. Chickens can be such hard work!!! :D

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Soooo happy to hear she is feeling better! Thanks for the update.

8. nemahelk

nemahelk New Egg

Sep 13, 2016
    I had a chicken doing this and the only thing I could come up with is she ate something she wasn't supposed to. I put some activated charcoal in her beak, didn't expect her to make until this morning. but she is perkier and her comb is lightening back up. she still is not up to par, but she is not drooling today. I gave her some more tonight, am hoping it works but she is definitely improved. I thought of activated charcoal because it attaches itself to poisons and helps them to pass through the system. might be worth a try, it also kill yeast infection in the same way in animals.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Hope your hen gets better.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by