drooping comb

katmoog

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 21, 2012
I have a hen with a drooping cone (usedto be standing up) she seems to be very lethargic and appears to have diarrhea. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

This could mean that she is sick or that there is something lacking in her diet. Normally drooping combs is a sign in Meditranean breeds in which it is acceptable. Leghorns are included in this list so maybe it's just that her comb is so big. Maybe put something in her diet to get rid of the diarrhea. What you are describing is normally how a chicken handles being sick. Watch for more symptoms it may be just the diarrhea that is your problem in which case try electrolytes in the water

Do I need to isolate her and can all the hens have electrolytes or should I just give them to her.

Has she ever been dewormed? Internal parasites can cause all of the symptoms you described. There are lots of things that can cause these symptoms but the best place to start is with the most common possibilities, rule those out and move on from there. If she has not be on a regular deworming schedule I'd start with that.

I have her on electrolytes now. Will get deworming products tomorrow. Thanks

My hen does not seem to be getting any better. Have given her electrolytes. She does not get on her roost at all. When out of her coop she walks to the porch and just lays down.she is wearing and drinking. Gave all chickens deworming medicine yesterday. Any other ideas?

Have you brought in any new birds or chicks recently? If so coccidiosis would be a consideration. Other then that, it could be a whole lot of things. She could have some kind of infection or other disease. Do you have access to an avian vet?
Although if this is caused by a heavy worm load she won't start looking, acting or feeling any better until the worms are gone and she's had some time to recuperate. Does she feel like she's lost weight?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom