1. C-Man He's everywhere

C-Man He's everywhere New Egg

Jul 23, 2008
    One of my Barred Rocks rear (abdomen) is sagging or drooping. When the others lean over to eat, their fuzzy butts go up. Her's goes up a little but mostly just says down between here legs. I felt the area and didn't feel any type of mass. (not that I would know what I was feeling for). Noted a little poop on here feathers in the rear. She seems to be eating/drinking/walking and pooping ok. Not sure if she's laying. We have 6 (one pair, 3 different breeds) and get 3-4 eggs daily and I'm pretty sure one of our NH Reds just has never started laying.
    Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

2. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    As hens age their bottom area will droop, but that is pretty extreme- so no nice answers for what that could be- internal layer, ascites (fluid), tumor. How old is she? It is possible she is just a really good layer and is getting baggy, but unfortunately there is probably something wrong. Can you confine her for a few days to confirm that she is eating/pooping and if she is laying?

3. C-Man He's everywhere

C-Man He's everywhere New Egg

Jul 23, 2008
    She's only about a year old. I'll try confining her later this week when it supposed to warm up some and see what's going on.
    Thanks

4. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    One other thing- some chickens have really fluffy bottoms- is the tissue hanging down, or just feathers there? Grab her and two normal ones and compare.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by