Drooping wing from hawk attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cabinchicky, Dec 3, 2013.

1. cabinchicky

cabinchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    Hello, I have an 8 month old EE who was pinned by a hawk as I ran to her. She had no bleeding injuries or punctures, missing feathers only. She was quiet and wanted to sit for an hour but since is acting fine. she is roosting, nesting and acting normal, I am just concerned over the wing. thank you if you have any ideas.

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    She may have a broken wing, or at least a lot of pulled muscles! I am glad that you got to her!! I would try to limit her activity for a few days and give her some extra protein and electrolytes. If the wing doesn't seem to be improved at all in the 24 hours maybe you could rig up a sling to hold it in somewhat a normal position.

3. cabinchicky

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    thank you, she does flap it but not much. I will check and try to sling it it may be too late.it doesn't drag the ground, it is only dropped down slightly from the left side.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Nerve damage. Talons likely penetrated back. Chickens seem very resilient to such.

5. TTracy

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    If it isnt too much out of place and she can move it, maybe you should let it be?
    I had a hen attacked by a hawk a few years ago and her hip was broken. She survived with just a bit of a limp!
    Had another hen attacked by a hawk this past spring, peeled her entire back, feathers and all! I really didnt think she would make it, BUT she did and you would never be able to tell! She is beautiful with all her feathers grown back!!
    The fact that she is acting normal is a great sign![​IMG]

6. cabinchicky

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    OK and thanks! I will try and recheck her in the morning. She is one that likes to keep her distance except when I give treats. She's so colorful also. I will post more if I find anything new.

7. cabinchicky

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    well she is fine wing moves, no injury I can find and tried to wrap it cause chaos with the others. so off it stays. feathers starting to grow back and I am putting on the no peck solution I bought.she is getting more skittish from the attention, goofy girl.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  8. TTracy

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Thats great!!! Glad she is doing well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by