Drooping wing on goose

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickerdoodle13, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    My goose is about two months old now. He/she is finally getting in most of it's feathers, but her wings are often drooping. Someone told me that they droop as they are getting used to the weight, and she is constantly re adjusting them, but they are still drooping. The duck that had slightly drooping wings has completely grown out of it, so that must have due to the weight factor, however I am getting worried about my goosey.

The wings aren't sticking out to the side or anything, just drooping. Is this normal? Will they fix themselves or should I do something about it? I've never had a goose before, so I am unsure about them. Also, they don't just hang limp, they kind of slip down, she fixes them, and then they slip down again. I really want to show her at the fair, but I don't know if I will if her wings stay like this.

2. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    My goslings are roughly the same age and do the same thing. One sure way to tell if they are holding them that way due to pain or something is to sneek up behind them and scare them a little (unless yours is super friendly, cuz it wont work then) and watch them run off. They'll hold their wings better when they run and you can see theres nothing really wrong with them. Also, heat is something to factor in too. My goslings sometimes hold their wings out or drooping while they 'sun bathe' or if they're panting. Either way, unless my 4 geese are also wrong, I'd say its completely normal. [​IMG]

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Do your geese lay down a lot too? It seems like mine is always laying down somewhere. He'll get up, graze a bit, and then lay down and eat grass. He seems healthy otherwise, but my dad keeps worrying that something is wrong with his legs. We might just be paranoid, but when I get attached to a bird, I worry a lot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by