Droopy chicken question.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jamie, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Jamie

Jamie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    Southern Maine
    We had a chicken go down on us 5 or 6 months ago. Head was drooping, 24 hours later it wasn't moving around at all, and then a few hours later there was no saving it. Never realized it happened so fast... it was not egg bound, not hot, no new chickens, just died, so we assumed it was bacterial or viral of some nature.

Now we have what looks to be the same thing. No bound eggs, nor odd broken egg looking droppings. Head is down but will raise it for a second if you really rouse the girl, might even still try to stand. It is 89 degrees, but there's plenty of water to be had. 13 other chickens are just fine.

So we jumped on it this time, dosed her with tetracycline hydrochloride powder about an hour ago, and have her in the bathroom where it is cooler. She seems to be sleeping but when I go in over her, she actually stood up and raised her head... lasted about 5 seconds though, and down she went. She has feed and tetracycline mixed into her water in there with her.

We were hoping if anyone might comment on something we should be doing or looking for. We searched through the site a bit and think we're doing what we're supposed to, but we've only seen them die, we've no experience with the living yet. [​IMG]

Thanks for any comments.
    lil' partridge colored easter egger thanks you too!

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

3. Jamie

Jamie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    Southern Maine
    That sounds like it:( Did you start the polyvisol right away? Sunday night and all the pet/large animal stores are closed. I could do the Epsom salt and offer molasses tonight, but don't have any bird vitamins on hand -- only human vitamins, but I suspect their needs are different than ours. Glad your girl recovered!

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

No, not bird vitamins. It is PolyViSol drops (made by Enfamil), a vitamin made for human babies. Yes, I started them right away, as soon as I finished with the Epsom Salts Flush or the Molasses Flush. This flush is a one time thing, over a period of not more than 4 hours. It is the equivalent to a human getting their stomach pumped. I think all the info is in that thread.

Good luck to you!

5. Jamie

Jamie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    Southern Maine
    EDIT: to start, we did the epsom salts last night w/ some molasses, and also got some baby vitamins... forget the name.

She was writhing all night with her head on the ground, and this morning she got another shot of molasses. And then sometime this morning she came around. Now her head is up, loved her yogurt and she's working on her second half of sweet potato. She's not bouncing around yet, but it looks like the worst is over. We cannot thank you enough. She is one of the first two eggs we've ever hatched using a bantam. So you can imagine we're a little attached. Lil bantam will be happy to see her big baby back too I'm sure. We read up about rotten compost and other things we were not aware chickens were at threat of. I've got a feeling we'll be sure to keep them out of trouble better in the future.

On an end note. Do people think we should just use epsom salts and molasses in the future? Or did that tetracycline do anything helpful... other than hydrate her a little?

Again thanks so much kathyinmo. You're post was very helpful.
    And a pic below for you to see the little girl you helped out. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by