Droopy comb and not herself... sour crop?

ahm22

Hatching
Jul 10, 2018
One of my hens started acting very strang yesterday. The day before she was fine and then the next morning she was up on her perch and reluctant to come down. I noticed her comb was dropped over to one side and slightly purple on the back end of it. I isolated her immediately and gave her water with electrolytes and probiotics. Today her comb is red and less droopy. She still won’t eat and is now more reluctant to drink. Her crop is mushy and pretty big. She is also hawking her head around like she is going to barf, but then she doesn’t.

I’m not sure if this is sour crop or something else. If anyone has any idea what it is and how to help please let me know.
Thanks.

I isolated her on monday when I noticed she was having issues and I haven’t seen an egg in her separate coop. She is 4yrs old and I think she stopped laying all together a little while ago as I don’t see her disappear during the day.

I isolated her on monday when I noticed she was having issues and I haven’t seen an egg in her separate coop. She is 4yrs old and I think she stopped laying all together a little while ago as I don’t see her disappear during the day.
While you're treating the crop, feel of her abdomen between her legs to see if there is any bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid.
A lot of times crop issues are as symptom of an underlying condition like internal laying/reproductive problems, worms, coccidiosis overload and infection.
If you can't get the crop to clear in several days or she worsens then consider getting a fecal float, that will help determine if she has worms or coccidiosis.

Back
Top Bottom