Droopy Comb. Is There a Problem?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bigredfeather, Nov 11, 2009.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I have three Buff Orpington pullets that are 7 months old. I noticed about a week ago that 2 of them have combs that are laying down. It's straight up on the beak side of the head, but about half way towards the back of the head, it's laying down. I'm not sure if there is any reason for concern, but it just doesn't seem right.

Anyone expirience a similiar situation? Is it a disease/sickness? Could it be a vitamin/mineral deficiency? Is it just something that happens for no reason, and there is nothing to worry about?

Thanks for your input.

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Nope, sometimes they just droop. A few of mine have had that since they were about 4 months old. I don't know if it has anything to do with coming from a hatchery and not being the best quality or what but they are all healthy and laying!

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Thanks. It shouldn't be the quality as I got the eggs from Julie Garrbard. Good to know it's probably nothing.

Thanks again.

4. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I have two hens(sisters) that do that... we call them the baldwin ladir=es from the waltons

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I have 2 buff orpington hens, one comb is straight up on one hen and on the other hen,it droops. Both hens are in excellent health. I dont think there's nothing to worry about lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by