1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Droopy comb, sitting on 5 eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by angelholifield, Jun 23, 2016.

1. angelholifield

angelholifield Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2015
    I have a very sweet golden comet. She loves to let me pet her and hold her.I came home from work and I let everyone out to dree range and I saw her sitting inside the coop. I figured she was laying an egg, but as I looked at her, I noticed her comb was flopped over to one side. And none of my chickens combs has ever done that. She's sitting on 5 eggs. I've only noticed her sitting today. I don't know if she's truly broody, or what. I'm not sure whether or not to be worried, because of her droopy comb. It could be possible that she's dehydrated and hot. They have plenty of water, but it's been in the low to high 80's here in candler/asheville NC the past week or so. Does anyone know what could be the case or if I should be worried?[​IMG]

2. gemma24

gemma24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    our hens comb went droopy too when she was broody...but other then that I don't know.

3. angelholifield

angelholifield Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2015
    Update... I was able to mix some sugar and salt in some water and pour it in a tiny cup and she would gulp it right up (last night.) I would periodically go out there and give some to her. Today she was slightly more alert, but wouldn't leave the coop. Sat her in a kiddy pool full of cool but not too cool water and she practically fell asleep. She attempted to eat cantaloupe out of my hand but she'd just pick it up and hold it in her mouth. Then finally drop it. Same thing with corn. She won't eat her normal food at all (laying crumbles). It's 82°F right now, so I brought her in the house and she's current laying by my bed with a fan on her and she's just snoozing. I DonT know what else to do and I literally had a meltdown yesterday, so upset.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by