Droopy Goose

TerryLee

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 21, 2008
E. Texas
Hi all. I have a droopy gander, he's about 9 months old. He's not hanging with the rest of my flock, he's eating a little, he seems to be very thirsty, and he kind of squints his eyes 1/4 of the way shut. No discharge from his nostrils, no signs of respiratory distress and his poop looks normal. I've been treating him with Tetroxy HCA-280 antibiotic for the last 3 days and no improvement.

I would appreciate any suggestions?

caf.gif

Do you have any other goose females his age? He might also be getting picked on and maybe the bigger geese are keeping him away from the food and water?

No one is picking on him, they're a pretty cohesive flock, I haven't noticed any fighting between them. I've even noticed them taking turns "babysitting" him while he hasn't felt well. Because of the antibiotics I've been giving him, I isolate him at night in a smaller pen, so he has his own access to water and feed.

The only two things I can think, are that he has some sort of infection/virus, or, we have a new home, and as much as I've picked up nails, clips, staples and everything else left by workers, he could have found something I missed and swallowed it. Does anyone have any experience with this? How do they act if they swallow something they shouldn't?

I'm sorry your goose is sick. It seems geese often get "hardware disease" from eating things they shouldn't. If that's the case with your goose there's pretty much nothing you can do about it.

One goose of mine seemed fine, but when she was butchered we discovered a piece of metal wire in her gizzard, going through the muscle. That must have been painful for her.

Back
Top Bottom