Droopy head, Green diarrhea *Update*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hanekins, Jan 12, 2017.

1. hanekins

hanekins Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2016
    I got two new Dominique chickens about two weeks ago. They laid beautifully for the first week and are now not laying much. I didn't think anything of it because we got a very sudden cold snap (from 5-69 down to the 20s) and it's also been very cloudy with little sunlight.

This morning, however, one Dominique hen did not want to leave the coop. She has a droopy head that she shakes from side to side every so often, and runny green poop. I separated her and gave her some crumbles mixed with yogurt and applesauce. I Alsup had some antibiotic I mixed in her water.

We are going to the vet this afternoon.[​IMG]

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    How does her crop feel?Looks like Limberneck a form of boutlism and also can be associated with Wry neck.Glad you separated her.If you can,put water in your hand and dip her beak and the water.Give her time to drink.

3. hanekins

Jul 15, 2016
    Sadly, I don't have experience with feeling for the crop area. I am at work currently, but I did get her to drink a little before I left. I have no idea how she could have gotten into any toxins, except it has been raining frequently.

4. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    [​IMG]This is there crop it should be full at the end of the day.
    Toxins such as Maggots,Animal Caracas will cause Boutlism.Do you have a pic of the Green poop

5. hanekins

Jul 15, 2016
    Thank you for showing me! Now I'll know how to check.

I don't have a photo, unfortunately. The first time she did it, it was very much in liquid form, and a dark green. The second time it was a little more solid and a slightly lighter shade of green.

6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    How old is she?Nice setup for her.I would massage her neck once and a while.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  7. hanekins

Jul 15, 2016
    She's roughly a year and a half old. I have about two and a half hours left, then I can take her to the vet. I'm lucky to have one that treats chickens close by.

8. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Take her to the vet asap.Curious to here what He/She says.As i said before i think she has Limber neck.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  9. hanekins

Jul 15, 2016
    On our way now. Her crop feels empty and she was standing, shaking her head every so often. Her beak is touching the ground.

I have poop pictures. It's a little more solid.[​IMG]

10. hanekins

Jul 15, 2016
    The vet isn't totally sure :/ We did notice some notes on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by