Droopy hen--help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MiniBird, Aug 3, 2014.

1. MiniBird

MiniBird Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2014
    My 2 yr old speckled sussex hen has been acting a little funny today. She is very lethargic and has been sleeping in the corner of the coop all day. Her comb is blue and droopy, and when i picked her up and put her in front of food and water, she drank a lot, but didn't eat anything. She also has yellow diarrhea that started last night.
    She hasn't laid an egg, so is it possible that there is just an egg stuck? If so or even if it's something different, what do I do?? :(

2. MiniBird

Jul 4, 2014
    She's stopped eating and drinking now too and I'm afraid she won't make it through the night

For a couple months before this she's made some weird noises while eating that sound like a combination of coughing and sneezing. I've felt her crop and it's not hard, just sorta squishy.

I really need some tips/suggestions!!

3. MiniBird

Jul 4, 2014
    I'm extremely devastated to say that she did not make it today. Although she is not alive, i still wish to know what it was in case its contagious. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss, and also for not getting any response earlier. Had she been laying eggs lately? Egg yolk peritonitis and internal laying are common in some hens between 2 and 3 years old. They can lose weight, have swelling in the low abdomen, have diarrhea, and sometimes has yellow stools from egg material or E.coli infection. Egg binding could also have been a possible cause. You can check with a rubber glove by inserting a finger 1-2 inches inside the vent for an egg. The cough or sneeze coul d have been from the feeding unless she did this frequently. A necropsy by your state vet is a good way to find a cause of death. Some people will do their own to look for egg peritonitis, blockage by worms or a gizzard blockage. Here is a good link for finding your state vet and others about EYP:

http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalHealth/statevets.aspx
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis

5. MiniBird

Jul 4, 2014
    Thank you so much this information has really helped. I'm pretty sure it was egg yolk peritonitis, I only wish I would've figured that out earlier, but I really appreciate your help!

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by