droopy hen - no other symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Konza, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Konza

Konza Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Alma, KS
    One of the hens started walking around with just one slightly droopy wing about a week ago. Her comb fell over about then, too, but stayed red. A few days ago she started sleeping in the nest box instead of the roost, then yesterday she started refusing to come out of the coop and our roo Doc started keeping close by. (Guess how he got that name...yep, he watches over sick hens.) Yesterday I brought her inside for observation. Other than both wings drooping, comb drooping but red, alert but not really energetic, refusing to eat and no eggs, I can't find any other symptoms.

Her crop is absolutely empty, no sign of blockage. She can walk fine (even made me chase her bit, but slowly, to catch her) and I don't feel any hardness in her abdomen or near her vent. Her breastbone seems pretty prominent and I don't think she has eaten in several days. No sign of mites on her feet, wings or neck. No sneezing, wheezing, coughing or rattley breathing. Her eyes look good, but her face seems a bit dirty. Other than that she is still clean, no poo clinging anywhere. When I brought her in yesterday I gave her a chick waterer with electrolytes and some chopped egg, but she ignored both. I didn't want her to get dehydrated so I've been giving her the electrolytes with a syringe. This morning her poo was just a little white glob like toothpaste, which I guess seems about right for a hen that hasn't had anything but liquid the day before. No sign of worms. Now I just don't know what else to look for. Any ideas?

She was pretty cooperative about the syringe, so I think I might try to make a very watery crumble porrige for her and see if I can get her to eat some of that.

[​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I am no help, sorry. [​IMG]

Sometimes they do poorly and pass - might be physical (heart problem), could be something she picked up (nail/screw) - -- These are just some guesses thrown out there, I have no idea what truely is wrong with your girl.

If she was mine, I would continue like you are doing - keep her in the house, so she does not have to "work" at keeping her body temp up in cold temps, and offering her foods that you think will tempt her.

[​IMG] for her.

3. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    How old is she? Did you check her for eggbound? Could she be eggbound? Search here.. on BYC for Eggbound.. give her the warm eggbound massaging baths for 20 minutes or so... oiled finger in the vent to feel for an egg, careful not to break it if there is one. The same with massaging her "tummy" under her vent..... careful not to break any egg you feel.
    The warm bath the the finger stimulate her to poop or lay...
    No sign of mites on her vent either?
    How old is she? How old is the flock? Have you wormed? When and with what? (Some chickens have some worms that you do not see in their poop).

Normal poops: http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Good luck.. I hope she recovers.

4. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
  5. Konza

Konza Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Alma, KS
    The whole flock is about 7 mos old. I will start looking into preventative worming since they free range, and there had been all kinds of birds on this property before we bought it. Even wild turkey hens like to nest in the brush near the coop. I do have some Ivermectin on hand but I'm uncertain if I should give it to her just in case.

Every time I "feed" her I look for a bound egg, but I haven't tried a finger in the vent yet. I suppose a warm bath won't hurt even if she doesn't like it too much.

6. Konza

Konza Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Alma, KS
    I just checked inside her vent. Managed to get my little finger in about 3/4 of the way to the first knuckle (and I have pretty long fingers) before I got pooped on for my trouble. [​IMG] [​IMG] There's a pic at the end of this post if you're brave. It was very watery, but I imagine it would be considering she's only had very wet crumble mash to eat. I managed to get her to swallow some yesterday by putting it on her beak. It was kind of like feeding a baby...I'm sure I got more on her than in her. I didn't feel any hardness or egg. Also checked again for mites while I was down there, nothing. I think she's had enough harrasment for now, so maybe I'll wait on the bath.

[​IMG]

She does seem to be closing one eye more than the other, and the nostril on that side of the face looks a little moist compared to the other one. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a discharge, though, but maybe she's fighting an infection after all. Or maybe it's just a little irritation from wood smoke. Poor thing has to share a room with the wood stove. It does tend to belch when you open the door.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  7. mauigirl

mauigirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Maui Hawaii

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by