Droopy hen...UPDATE...Corid treatment done... questions

mmaddie's mom

Songster
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Elmwood, Illinois, USA
Over a month ago I noticed that one of my older hens (about 2 years) was not as active and looked slightly puffed up. At his point she just acted like she wanted to avoid anyone else. After a week or so she decided not to perch anymore and started sleeping in the dog house. At this point her poop still looked normal and she would go outside and lay in the sun before returning to the dog house. Another week passes and she started for 2 nights roosting again and pecking some of the younger birds when they came too close... I thought things were looking up. But, no, after that she went back to sleeping in the dog house. She is very thin and can only be tempted by scrambled eggs and cracked corn... but she only eats about 4-5 bites before quiting. Her poop is now very runny/loose... I see no blood or funny color. I put her by herself in a large dog crate earlier this week. She seemed about the same until this morning she was at the front of the crate looking like like she would like to come out. I let her out and she is now back in the dog house eating some cracked corn that i just gave her. What now? She still seems droopy... tail and wings droopy and puffed up. Every time I go to see her thinking I'm going to put her out of her misery, she looks at me with alert eyes and doesn't seem to be in any pain... except her droopyness. I have looked at and poked at her to see if I see anything else wrong, but see nothing.

Things I've done for her... special food as stated above, electrolytes in her water, baby vitamins, isolating her so she won't be picked on.

I don't want her to suffer, but I don't know what else to do for her?

Last edited:
I might be totally out of line here, but if it were my hen, and I had some Corid or Sulmet on hand, I would trial her for 24-48 hours on it to rule out coccidiosis. Yes, I know she is way past the usual age, but if her immune system got suppressed for some reason, that might be it.

http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/coccidiosis.html

(you don't have to have BLOODY poo for it to be coccidiosis)

Last edited:
What's her crop like? Is it filling and emptying daily?

Also, does she lay eggs still?

My first 2 thoughts were crop or internal laying.

But, have you checked her for mites and lice? That could also be a problem.

Quote:
Her crop is pretty much empty because she only eats a few bites at a time.

She was laying before this and is not laying now.

Yes, checked for parasites and found no evidence of any.

I have no Corid or Sulmet on hand as I have never needed to use it before... can I get it at the farm store or my vet?

Quote:
I looked at this and symptoms seem right. Am getting ready for work right now and If i know where to get meds I will try to leave early enough to get some while I'm in town before work.
thanks.

Other thought I would have is worms, to me it is difficult to be sure of cocci or worms as they both can make for thin poopy lethargic birds. Cocci does not always show blood in stool and worms dont always show up either.
I would not be inclined to think it would be internal laying if the problem has been going on for a month plus. Mites and lice are worth a check though.

Last edited:
mmaddie's mom :

Quote:
I looked at this and symptoms seem right. Am getting ready for work right now and If i know where to get meds I will try to leave early enough to get some while I'm in town before work.
thanks.

My farm store carries Corid and Sulmet.​

mmaddie's mom :

Quote:
thanks.

I had a hen just a bit younger that had cocci. She was going thru a really bad molt at the time and I think that she got so run down with the molt that it left her vulnerable to a cocci overload. I had good luck getting her to eat canned cat food (Iams kitten) when she was at her worst and wouldn't touch anything else. I wouldn't reccomend using it for an extended period of time, but I really think it helped my girl turn the corner--canned tuna is another thing that they'll usually go for when even the scrambled eggs don't tempt them. Good luck with your girl!

ETA: I agree with worming her too, won't hurt and could certainly help. I also prefer Corid for cocci treatment, it's easier on their systems then the Sulmet, but many people use Sulmet with good results and it's often easier to find then Corid.​

Last edited:
Am worming with Ivermectin this morning... doing the whole flock. Will try to get Corid while in town this afternoon before going to work. My wonderful husband said "yes" right away when I mentioned bringing her in and putting her in the downstairs bathroom in the tub. He's a great guy! Being inside I will be able to keep a closer eye on her and she will be warmer.

Back
Top Bottom