Droopy, inactive chicks

ashley37

Hatching
Apr 2, 2016
Three days ago the chicks my friends and I ordered came in from the hatchery. One of my friends was keeping them all at home, but today I had to take home four of the six smaller chicks (two died) because they were being picked on by the bigger ones. I just got them home and under a heat lamp, but they havent reacted to anything. Currently theyre all sleeping and not making a sound instead of exploring. When I pick them up three of the four are a bit droopy, rather than picking themselves up they tilt until they lay down in my palm (the other stands on its own but is still very inactive) Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to perk them up? I did try give them a bit of sugar water but they weren't interested, nor where they interested in food.

I am not an expert as this is my first batch of 5 day old chicks...They are on their fourth day. I have one droopy one. I read everything I could and I am actually hanging onto to her right now. I have done plain yogurt and mixed in a little starter feed. I have done hard boiled egg yolk and I have done raw egg yolk. I am giving her water through a syringe. Just a bit on the side of her mouth and she drinks it in. If she is up on the table by me, I put the chick starter mixed with the plain yogurt and she eats it nicely and the yolks. She was being picked on so I moved her into a separate brooder here in side. Keeping her warm but she is not growing like the others.

Hopefully, what I have said can help you. Food and water with sugar. Also have some dried stuff I bought...like dry gatorade that I mix with the water for a few days.

If anyone has any ideas too please go ahead. As I said, I am far from an expert. She is an EE and was the biggest at day one. Maybe she can pull through...I am a nurse and we like to save things...people and animals.
M

Does she has solid stool? I'm assuming electrolytes would help quite a bit, but I'm a first time Mama of two weeks now. Only thing I really know about sadly enough is Coccidiosis.

I do not want to grab your thread but oh, this is so sad. I do not think I will ever buy chicks again. 

if they have coccidosis (which they might) you CAN cure it. Go to your local farm store and purchase AMPROLIUM. Brand names are different in different areas but where I live the Amprolium brand name is CORID. TREAT THE WHOLE FLOCK. Coccidosis symptoms are lethergic behavior and sleepiness, puffed up appearance, they may or MAY NOT have bloody stool. They could have foamy dierehea. if you suspect coccidosis TREAT ALL THE CHICKS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Hang in there and don't give up. here is a hug for you. ((()))

I had one droopy one she ended up getting really sick overnight and couldn't move at all the poor thing died this morning;(

Last edited:
Sorry ChickenGal6...well mine made it through the night. A bit more energetic today. Ate decently..chicken starter mushed up with sugar water...I put it on the table and she pecks and eats. Some yogurt too..I will get the medicine when the feed store opens here. She does not drink much but will have some from a syringe by the side of her mouth still. Thank you for your suggestion, Realsis. Still small...will clean out the brooder of both and treat all. Well, all five...probably will pick up a feather duster and mirror. I put a stuffed animal in there...a soft socks...she seems to like that...maybe sick AND lonely. But that group will not accept her like this or maybe ever.

My little Red Laced is now fighting back when I go to pick her up!!!! Small little miracles, she will do just fine. We have been treating all five girls and there is still Chicken Squirts present but no blood now. I have been adding a little save a chick electrolytes in with the medicine which I have doesed at a rounded 1/4 TSP per quart water bottle. I'm not sure how people save a gallon of water for just five chicks, so I did some extra math. I wish the best for all you little ones and send my condolences to those that have lost theirs.

My other girls had nothing to do with my baby either, she spent a good three days under the Mama Heating Pad all by herself but now that she is stronger and getting a little bugger she is out with the crowd with no problems. Hold on to some hope she'll make it and the other gals will eventually not see her as a threat.

Last edited:
Okay. I am allowed to hope, I suppose. Thanks for your math calculations! The gallon calculation was not helpful. I brought her out by me in a see through box and she ate her watered mush out of a dish. Not seeing her drinking but am still working with her on that.

She looks better today now than yesterday but we have a little ways to go...thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom