Droopy Older Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TariOronar, May 18, 2010.

1. TariOronar

TariOronar Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Our chicks are about 6 weeks old. We moved them to an outside coop last week. This morning, I went and let them out of their coop and into their run, and I'm pretty sure they were all fine. I cant be positive because I didnt do a head count. When I went out at lunch time to check on them, there was one laying on the ground seeming really lethargic. Upon further inspection, it would seem she (i think) cant hold her head up easily, and an area her neck seems to be scabbed over, like the others were pecking at her. We put her in a tub and brought her inside the house. I have not seen her eat or drink. She perched on the little roost we have in there for a little while and then hopped off and tried to run/walk and fell over, and hasnt really moved since. Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong?

Edit: I dont know if it matters, but I have no idea what breed any of my chickens are. When we got them from the feed store, they were labeled "assorted pullets". This particular chick is mostly brownish red.

Edit again: Chicken finally pooped. Stool was watery and had long strands of grass in it, which looked completely undigested. Hopefully someone can help me....

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

How is the girl doing?

Do you offer any grit for them? The reason I ask is the grass in the poo - sounds like there is not enough grit in the gizzard for grinding.

Is she eating now? How about other poops - how do they look?

Sorry I am no help, but more info would be great.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  3. TariOronar

May 18, 2010
    she still doesnt seem to be doing well. She now stands nearly as often as she lays down. But she still wont pick up her head. She also seems to spend most of her time sleeping. She finally drank some water last night (first time ive seen her drink anything since tuesday) but i still havnt seen her eat, and the little feeder doesnt look any different. We have not directly given them any grit 'cuase they have a run for most of the time, and we let them run around the yard when we're outside, which is almost every evening, so we figured they'd get it that way. Other poops have been the same, undigested green stuff, and really watery.

no problem about not being much help. i really dont knwo what im doing, or even supposed to be looking for. Just what google and other chicken websites tell me to look for....

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I would offer her some - sometimes depending upon your area - the rocks are too soft or not the right size for some picky birds. It can be coarse sand (which is what my yard is) that you get at a home improvement store or specific bird grit (grocery store, feed store). I even offer grit that I get from the feed store - just incase and usually they will pick thru it - even with all the sizes in my yard.

Boil up an egg or two, chop up and offer to her, I would also offer thawed veggies (run them under hot water to thaw, or let sit in cup of hot water) - peas and corn seem to be a natural favorite.

Also give her a good once over for parasites - lice which you can see during the day (small close to the skin, underbelly/vent is one of their favorite areas), mites which attack at night (use a flashlight and check bums - usually small, tiny red/brown crawling pieces).

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  5. TariOronar

May 18, 2010
    thanks, we looked her over and didnt see anything. and cleaned the area on her neck where she got pecked agian. (she was not please with us poking at it) but we still cant get her to eat. We offer her food, and she just falls asleep in it. so i cant get her to eat any grit or anything else. any suggestions?

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

What is your location? I am wondering about your weather. Here it has been rainy for much too long, and I have had a few cases of botulism. The rotting vegetation and standing puddles are the culprit here. Here is a thread about botulism. I hope this may help ....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=219553

7. TariOronar

May 18, 2010
    i'm in central new mexico....havnt had rain in over a month....

8. kathyinmo

I misread the age. It is 6 weeks old (I was thinking 6 months). What kind of feed do you use? Is it medicated?

9. TariOronar

May 18, 2010
    acctually, i just finished reading the thing on botulism, and that sounds a lot like what's wrong. And since my husband agrees that that seems to be the problem, we went ahead and gave her a little molasses and water. Checked her feathers too...they are coming out fairly easily [​IMG] No idea what could have caused this, but they have been hanging out under the peach trees a lot. So I'll check for standing water/mud.
    So, I guess I'm off to buy poultry electrolytes and epsom salts tomorrow. I didnt see it, but i might have missed it. How often do you do the epsom salt flush?

10. kathyinmo

It should only be done one time, all within a 4 hour period of time. I think I used 30cc total, but about 10 - 15 cc at a time, then wait 20 minutes or so and do it again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by