Droopy, skinny WL hen getting worse -- what to do?

farmergal

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
Nor Cal
I have a flock of approximately 80 birds, and about a week ago I noticed a WL hen looking out of sorts. Her comb -- normally a perky, huge, red comb -- was looking shriveled. Her wings seemed to sag a little. And when I picked her up she had obviously lost quite a bit of weight. One other thing I noticed: a few of her feathers were falling out, and there is LOTS of new feather growth. (Could it be she's molting?)

I'd noticed that out of 4 WLs I was only getting 1-2 white eggs per day... one's broody, and this one is obviously too skinny to lay.

Here's the info. Any help would be appreciated!

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
WL hen, about 1 year old, SKINNY. (Breastbone very pointed and sharp, not much meat on her. And WLs don't have a lot to lose in the first place!)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She just looks "droopy." She's not as vigorous as the other hens -- mostly stands around with her feathers slightly fluffed. Her comb looks like the comb of a broody hen -- it's all shrunken, flopped over, greyish pink instead of a nice bright pink. She's extremely skinny and has stopped laying.
3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No.
4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No idea -- all of the other birds are happy and healthy. I did switch to layer pellets from layer crumbles, but that was at least a month ago... all of the other birds have been just fine.
5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
I did isolate her for 24 hours and fed her higher protein chick starter. She seemed to slightly perk up at that, but then I let her back with the rest of the flock and now she's worse than before. She, like the rest of the flock, has access to laying pellets, fresh water, oyster shell, and veggie scraps from the garden (chard, kale, summer squash, cucumber, tomatoes). I've noticed that every time I've picked her up, her crop has been empty.
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Green, slightly watery.
7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Isolated her for 24 hours and gave her chick starter.
8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Would like to treat myself.
9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
10) Describe the housing/bedding in use
She has a 10' x 10' coop with tons of perches with pine shaving bedding. (Just cleaned, also dusted with DE.) The chickens really only sleep in the coop so there is plenty of room... the rest of the time they're perched in trees, free-ranging over the property, or dust-bathing underneath the coop.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to lose this girl!
Note: I haven't wormed my flock (besides DE), but all of the other chickens seem healthy... is it possible this is a worm problem?

(ETA: bold to help people read answers.)

Last edited:
Does anyone have any suggestions? I just put her back in a small cat carrier with water and chick starter... she is definitely sluggish, it was easy to catch her (and usually my WLs are crazy, fast, and don't like to be caught). I gave her a bit of Nutri-Drench too.

I would try giving her PolyViSol infant vitamins (not with iron) 3 or 4 drops in her beak daily for a week, yogurt and boiled egg mashed up, and good on the Nutri Drench. See if she perks up with that.

I think I am having exactly the same problem with a 6-year-old bourbon red turkey hen, so I will be watching this thread to see what they tell you to do. I don't want to lose my Rosie either.

Good luck with your girl. I'll be praying for all of us.

the Old Rebel

I think you need to bring her where you can keep a close eye on her--in a cage in the house or on the porch, something like that. The green poop indicates that she is starving. Go ahead and see if she will eat the chick starter when by herself. Give fresh cool water. Watch her poop to see if you notice anything out of the ordinary.

If she picks up eating and is getting better, keep her separated until she has recovered and gained back some of the lost weight. If she is not eating, try feeding her some mashed hardboiled or scrambles egg and see if that will interest her. If you can't get her to eat, you need to hand feed her. Could be as simple as popping layer pellets down her throat, or you may need to get some handfeeding formula and syringe feed her. Mix the handfeeding formula to the consistency of mashed potatoes and use a 1 or 3 cc/ml oral syringe. She needs about 40-60 ml per day, spread out over as many separate feedings as possible. I wouldn't give more than 10 ml at a time. Less until you have figured out what you are doing.

You need to either

1) syringe it way down her throat

-or-

2) at the front of her mouth, syringe a bit at a time, letting her do the work of eating and swallowing.

Watch for other symptoms such as worms or coccidiosis, and treat appropriately.

Thanks for the help. For those who have a similar problem, I am trying the following treatment:

*Syringe feed her yogurt, mixed with a bit of chick starter (just to make it as calorically-rich as possible.)
*Put nutri-drench in her water, and then the next time I filled it, I put in some vitamins & electrolytes (which is a lot like the nutri-drench, but without the sugar).
*Now, since I suspect worms (no particular reason other than that she suddenly became really skinny, and I have no reason to suspect cocci -- no foamy poo, etc), I am treating her with apple cider vinegar. I syringe-fed her about a 50/50 mixture of ACV and water (just a few squirts), and put a dash in her water, too. If she doesn't start getting better I will worm her with Wazine. But, I wanted to try to treat her without chemicals first -- not because I'm opposed to chemical wormer in a pinch but because she's so unhealthy, I don't want to kill her by putting too much pesticide in her already-depressed system. And, I'm not 100% sure it's worms anyway.

I wish I had read Sonoran Silkies' response before syringe feeding her... I mostly fed her at the front of her mouth, but I think last night I went a bit too far back (but not far back enough)... now it sounds like she has a bit of water stuck in her throat and I hope I haven't killed her!!! But, she survived the night, so hopefully it will just go away.

How has your little hen done? I'm sorry she (and you) went through so much stress
hugs.gif

in addition to the polyvisol I would get some baby parrot/bird formula (this is a powder you mix with water to make a kind of "porridge" > it is for feeding baby parrots / sick birds) and mix that in with her feed > you can use a watermelon "bowl" (scoop out a section ) and put feed mix in there (the color red will stimulate her to peck at it).

I was losing 2 chicks a day.
Put small amounts of elotrolyte (sp), (know as PRO-Lyte PLUS at TSC) Apple Cider vinegar, Epsom salts, and Duramycin-10 an antibotic, also at TSC, in her water.
And then garlic powder or salt sprinkled in her food for the worms.
This stuff saved the rest of my chicks.

If nothing else just use the Cider Vinegar for perkiness, and Epsom Salt is for the poop shute to stop direahea. Diluted of course.
Eggs are a good source of protein.

Hope this helps someone.

Barb in Mo.

Barbgarmo--
Thanks for the tip on Epsom salts!! I'd never heard of that and I have a hen with TERRIBLE diarrhea right now. Riley's been very thin & I've tried various things over the past while.
I thought she was the only one in the coop really struggling... and then her sister died a couple weeks ago--starved to death. I felt so sad. It is hard to notice sometimes when a well-feathered hen is getting thin.
I have Riley separated in a dog kennel now, & just switched from Aeromycin to a sulphur-based med, & will be cutting out apple cider vinegar & avoiding yogurt-type stuff until I take her off sulphur med. Along with lay mash, I am giving oatmeal, canola oil, tomato, various greens (such as zucchini, grass, green pepper, etc) applesauce & Vi-Tal (vitamin, mineral & electrolyte powder). I also take her outside every day or 2 to catch grasshoppers (if daytime) or earwigs, moths & beetles (if nighttime).
I will add a little Epsom salt to her diet. I really needed a good anti-diarrheal idea, especially since she's supposed to be off probiotics right now, as far as I understand, so THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
And
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom