Droopy tail and dry poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DianeS, Nov 20, 2010.

1. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    I would appreciate some help in making my hen feel better. Thanks!

She's a red sex-link. Age about 18 months. She's the only one in my flock of 4 hens exhibiting any symptoms. (The other three are 5.5 months and probably Production Reds.)

She normally lays an egg almost every day, but I have not gotten an egg from her since Monday. Other than that, nothing odd until today. Since I let them out of the coop this morning, her tail has been drooping, almost dragging the ground. She normally is the first hen out of the coop, and the leader in the food hunt. But today she hung back and was the last out, and is just one of the flock in walking around and pecking.
    She does appear to be pecking the ground as normal, I gave them all some tomatoes this morning, and I know she ate some of that. I haven't seen her drink today, but I also haven't seen the others drink either.

I was remodeling part of the coop today, so I thought at first she might be just worried/overwhelmed by the noise and unusual things. But four hours after stopping the construction, she was still "off". And the other three hens didn't react at all except to stay on the far side of the run from the work. (She was tail-drooping before the construction began.)

I thought she might be egg bound, but massaging didn't let me feel anything like an egg. I inserted a lubricated finger in her vent to check internally, and found a lot of dry, grassy poop. The poop normally is goopy and pudding-like. So I helped remove as much as I could feel.
    I checked her crop, but I don't really know what a healthy or unhealthy crop feels like. It does feel just like the other hen I checked for comparison.

After cleaning out the intestine area I put her back in the coop with the others. They have warm water and yogurt inside the coop tonight. (She does have a pre-existing condition of scaly leg mites, which is getting better with oil treatment, don't know if that's relevant.)

Any other ideas? I want her to feel better. Do let me know if I left out anything that might be important. Thanks!

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    At 18 months old she is probably starting to molt. I would also not be surprised if she has some worms to go along with the mites and between the two or three things she's probably feeling pretty run down. What are you feeding her? I have a mixed age/species flock so they get gamebird feed with oyster shell freechoice all the time, but I do bump the protien up when the girls are molting because I think they get thru it a bit faster and easier that way.

3. DianeS

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    No, she finished her molt in early October, and began laying then. (I bought her at the end of August, in the middle of her molt.) So it's not molt.
    And all four were wormed when I got them.

They eat a mix of grower and layer pellets (the other three are POL but no eggs yet), with occasional fresh fruit and scratch. Oyster shell and grit free-choice. Nothing strange or new in the past few days.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Do you know what they were wormed with?

5. DianeS

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    No, I don't know what they were wormed with.

Is it important? I could ask, I got them from a private seller and still have her email address.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by