Droopy Tail Feathers On Lethargic Hens Back- Egg In Vent or???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nancypo, Jul 10, 2011.

1. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    My 1 1/2 year old hen is lethargic this morning, and her top, rear back (not tail) feathers have a hump like raised appearance. There was an egg in the nest box this morning. She's eating and drinking, gave her some yogurt too, but she's pretty droopy. I thought maybe she laid the egg last night, since she didn't lay yesterday, but she skips a day once in a while, and it was probably from this morning. Not heat stress, only 80, in the shade, any ideas? Her feathers look really odd near her rear of body, up a bit. She looks ok otherwise. Moving slow...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  2. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I was thinking- maybe it's her tail feathers are drooping? And that's why it looks like a hump??? Cause?

Good news- she's eating more, yogurt and now eating grass, walking a bit more...

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Have you looked under her feathers? Is there anything on/under the skin that you can see?

Can you post a picture? It may be that her tail is drooping and causing her to look hump backed.

4. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Yes, not constipated (she's pooping) and no egg I can see. I also felt around, nothing I can feel excpet her stomach... Will post pic in minute...

5. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Droopy tail feathers...

[​IMG] normal Rosie

6. Tres Amigas

Tres Amigas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    EA WA - 2 chicken yrs.
    My girl about the same age did the same thing two days in a row -- the first day she didn't lay and looked like that at free range time - walking slow & careful, tail down, not very interested in anything and periodically standing there with her eyes shut. I felt her crop and abdo - crop almost empty and didn't feel anything like an egg in her abdo. She put herself to bed early. I went to check them after dark and she had passed a yolk and white, but we didn't see any shell. The next morning she was fine - I took her to breakfast on the deck and she ate 2 scrambled eggs (with shells). Fine all day. By the time it was evening again, she was acting the same way. Later that evening we saw the three of them obviously eating something in the run. Went to see and it looked like nothing but white...gross...we didn't let them finish it. She's been absolutely fine since then, 3-4 days, and giving us a nice egg every day. Weird, huh? I was frantically looking up egg yolk peritonitis and worried to death. She seems to have made a full recovery..... I hope your hen does, too. One thing I did notice was that here poops were runny more often than not last week...I don't know if that has any correlation to the other problem. Good luck with her.
    edited because I can't spell "ate"

7. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Thakns for the info. She's had nice, firm, normal poop (on the deck) this morning. She's back under the the tree in the shade where I can see her, resting. I'll keep an eye on her. I'm not too worried, but the feathers had me stumped...

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Maybe you should start a worming program.

9. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    She's feeling better- walking around, eating drinking!

10. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Holding off on any meds...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by