Droopy Wing on Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by schmije, Apr 20, 2009.

1. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    One of my NH chicks has a portion of her left wing that hangs down low. It's been like this ever since her feathers began growing in. She seems healthy and happy, and the droopy wing doesn't seem to bother her at all. Does anybody know what this is?

This picture is from a couple of weeks ago when she was about 4.5 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Can you feel any breaks? I'm not sure what is up ( [​IMG] ) with her but If it is not hurting her or bothering her I would not be too worried but that is just me.

3. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    UMMM i dont whant to scare you, but when i got a order in about 2 months ago some of my babys were like that and they past, it was a sighn of them being sick.

4. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:Some of the posters stated that your bird might be sick... But last year my 2 Geese where like that when their long feathers started growing... It's as though they don't have enough strength yet to hold them up..

After they finally matured and got all their feathers on,, They were both ok..

5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    One of my chicks started with droopy wings...nothing else. It quickly became apparent (as other symptoms appeared) that she had Coccidiosis. Of course, many things can cause droopy wings..not just illnesses, but thought I'd mention it, so you can keep an eye out since it is treatable if caught in time. Just in case! [​IMG] Hopefully it is something minor and your baby is fine!

6. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Thanks for your responses. Those of you who had sick chicks - how long did they live? She's 6.5 weeks old now and showing no signs of illness that I can see. She's the biggest of all our chicks (but just by a little bit), so I know she's eating ok. Is there anything specific that I should look for?

I hope it's just something cosmetic. We've been calling it her "lucky wing" like Nemo's lucky fin. [​IMG]

7. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Well when mine starting doing that it was only a matter of a couple days. But they were smaller than the others. There was really no other sighns. I wish i could help more, I hope she does ok for you.

8. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I think we need a picture of the wing held out so we can see the growth of those feathers...

9. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Could that be Split wing?

10. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:I hope it is something cosmetic too...or at least not serious!! I agree with The Polish Princess that it may be split wing. Can you post a picture of her wing fanned out?

As for how long my sick lived...she's still kickin'! [​IMG] She was really bad and on deaths doorstep by day 2. DH realized that she had the early symptoms of coccidia (the blood in the stool showed up really late for some reason) and immediately put her on Sulmet. I stayed up with her giving her water until 2 am. I didn't think she'd make it through the night. The next morning, she was laying on her side, but still alive. I gave her water by hand every 15-30 minutes and by the end of the day she was able to stand. It took her a few days to recover, but she is back to 100% now!

If your girl is still doing well, it probably isn't the same thing that our chick had. Her symptoms were (in order): drooping wing, lethargy, clear vomit (water), clear watery diarrhea, and blood in stool. It all happened over the course of 2 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by