Droopy wing - reasons why?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pbjmaker, Jun 22, 2011.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    One of my muscovies is just getting in her flight feathers, etc. and her wings tend to droop now None of the other ducks do this. It's almost like they are just toooo heavy for her to hold up [​IMG] She will fix them and then they slowly droop down again just seconds later.

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In the past I have noticed this behavior when a large number of blood or pin feathers are coming in at the same time. As the feathers "mature" the wing should go back to normal.

3. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:2X. Very common with Muscovy when they're getting all their wing feathers in. Once the blood feathers mature, and the weight of the blood is only in the shaft tip, she'll be able to hold them up smoothly without any trouble.

4. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Thanks for the replies I was just gonna go with "she is part serama" [​IMG]

5. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Its your call but I would definetely clip the primaries because sometimes they will stay a little droopy if not clipped and will grow back anyway.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  6. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:I will be clipping wings on all of them soon. They do not have a covered pen and I don't need them getting out since I am in the city.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    DO NOT clip while still in the "blood feather" stage or you will have a mess on your hands. Trust me-- I've seen it done.

8. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:Oh I know - it is like a straw and it just keeps on sucking more and more blood out. Some of the older "ducklings" are stretching their wings and taking small hops. Once I see them get any height I will probably snip them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by