Droopy wing - reasons why?

pbjmaker

Crowing
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Central Iowa
One of my muscovies is just getting in her flight feathers, etc. and her wings tend to droop now None of the other ducks do this. It's almost like they are just toooo heavy for her to hold up
smile.png
She will fix them and then they slowly droop down again just seconds later.

Any ideas?

Drakesandhens016.jpg

In the past I have noticed this behavior when a large number of blood or pin feathers are coming in at the same time. As the feathers "mature" the wing should go back to normal.

Quote:
2X. Very common with Muscovy when they're getting all their wing feathers in. Once the blood feathers mature, and the weight of the blood is only in the shaft tip, she'll be able to hold them up smoothly without any trouble.

Its your call but I would definetely clip the primaries because sometimes they will stay a little droopy if not clipped and will grow back anyway.

Last edited:
Quote:
I will be clipping wings on all of them soon. They do not have a covered pen and I don't need them getting out since I am in the city.

DO NOT clip while still in the "blood feather" stage or you will have a mess on your hands. Trust me-- I've seen it done.

Quote:
Oh I know - it is like a straw and it just keeps on sucking more and more blood out. Some of the older "ducklings" are stretching their wings and taking small hops. Once I see them get any height I will probably snip them.

Back
Top Bottom