droopy wing, what is the cause?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by K4zn4v3, Oct 22, 2010.

1. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    I am beginging to worry about my week old muscovy duckling. For the past couple of days her right wing has appeared droopying. So far she has been kept in her own cage and I cant se anyway she could have broken it in the cage. Could this just be something harmless like one one growing faster? Any Ideas would be great. I need all the help I can get since the nearest avian vet is almost 3 hours away. I have been taking pictures of her everyday to chart her growth so here are some of them.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

There is something called angel wing, but it would be to early for it right now. Angel wing is something that starts around 5-6 weeks of age. At this point I would not worry, it could that the duckling stumbled and fell in an unlucky way. Just give it some time. It may be just growing pains. Keep the protein intake at 17% so the duckling doesn't grow to fast. Fast grows is an issue for the joints.

3. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Quote:I have her at 16% protein right now. I was hoping that it wasnt angel wing. My two year old muscovy drake has angel wingel wing, and I have to clip his wing becuase he runs in circles trying to bite it. I did tons of research trying to find out what it could be. The only thing I could come up was that the wing was full of blood becuase it is growing and the weight is causing it to droop. I think that I am going to tape the wing just to be safe though.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Don't tape it at that age. It is to early. Wait until the duckling is 5 weeks old and then do it. I will give you instructions on how to do it correctly. It can get corrected rather fast once they are older. 4 days usually take care of it. Do not ever use real tape either. The duck needs to be wrapped into a sling and that sling needs to be wrapped to the body. It also should be taken off at night to assure blood circulation. Your duckling is just to young right now and you can stunt grows. The wings are not developed enough to do anything at this point. Give a little bit more time before you take drastic steps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by