Droopy wings after cold stress

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazyhorseca, Jan 5, 2014.

1. crazyhorseca

crazyhorseca New Egg

Jul 11, 2012
    Hi all
    This is my first post. We've had very cold weather like many. I have a smaller 7 monthish old silver laced wyandotte pullet who was very lethargic after our coldest night 3 nights ago.
    (~ -20 C). She was on the floor in the corner and didn't come over when I went out to feed them. Figured she was too cold so I set up a heat lamp in the coop and she perked up and was running around after a bit. seemed fine. Next morning on the floor again and kind of unsteady on her feet when I moved her. also gurgling when she breathed. Brought her in the house. Put her in a pet carrier (18" by 24")with hot water bottle wrapped in a towel. She had room to move away from the bottle if too warm. By that night she was drinking medicated water (tetracycline) vigiorously and eating her regular food although all from a laying down position. Yesterday and today she's up walking around, eating and drinking well, has stopped gurgling and sneezing,but both her wings are dragging on the ground.

Wondering if anyone has thoughts re the wing dragging. Could they have been damaged by the cold. Will they recover. Thanks in advance

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I know that some neurological conditions can cause drooping of the wings. Mareks disease and botulism can cause drooping wings, but botulism usually starts with paralysis in the feet working up to the wings. Did she have a Mareks vaccine?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by