Droopy wings and lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by centrarchid, Dec 5, 2010.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Dominique cockerol (Elmo) in poor health. Wings dropping for last two days. Head also drops when inactive. Eyes appear normal. No obvious respiratory problems or discharge from head area. Lethargic and maybe having trouble thermoregulating. He spends lots of time in sun. Appettite reduced. Feces not observed yet. He has lost some weight. No recent additions to flock. No others appear affected. He is free range and previously a fast grower.

Now isolated from flock. Will be babied owing to last of strain. Prefer not to sacrifice owing to genetic value.

Advice requested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Wish I could help other than giving support. Have you tried the baby vits and or poultry drench? Might want to add his age too

3. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:20 weeks post-hatch. He will be transitioned to a wild fowl diet to balance electrolytes each digestion.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Has he been wormed? Parasites - internal & external can cause weight loss and weakness.

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    He, nor any other member of flock has been wormed. Onset of this seems too rapid for parasite loads I am familiar with. I brought him indoors which has resulted in an immediate improvement. His sense of smell is still good, lead straight to some eats I prepared.

I will worm him tomorrow. Worming is something to be avoided in future as it will be counter productive for longterm parasite management.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand.... worming helps prevent parasites [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:

I'm not sure I understand.... worming helps prevent parasites [​IMG]

In all systems I am aware of, susceptibility to a given parasite has genetic components for host and parasite. Some hosts are more resistant. Use of therapeutics will give short-term control but will de-rail selection for parasite resistant birds. My flock as a whole has a lot of genetic variation to work with and parasite resistant is a very important factor in my breeding program. Birds requiring less therapeutic usage are more likely to be used as brood stock the following year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by