Droopy wings on 8 week old drake Muscovy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zook, Dec 17, 2013.

1. zook

zook Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    [​IMG]

Our baby Turbo has his flight feathers coming in and he has been progressively letting his wings flop out away from his body. Is it because his wings are not developed or the extra weight of blood in the feathers. He's a healthy little dickens otherwise , He is 8 weeks in 2 days. We raised 4 other muscovies from 2 weeks old last summer and none I remember had wings so droopy and two of them were also drakes. He is so much like a dog, loves getting his chest scratched and follows me everywhere. Our dog Munk does not understand Turbo's love nibbles though. Turbo gets good quality feed as much as he'll eat and is getting almost as big as our smallest 9 month old duck. Any thoughts to the pic below.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  2. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    Yes its Angel wing, fix it fast before its too late!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    zook have you been able to wrap Turbo wings?

4. pistachia

pistachia New Egg

Dec 20, 2013
    I have a hen and a drake with this condition too. It started around the age of 8 weeks. The hen has one wing and both the drakes wings droop..What I want to know is will the wings return to normal as they grow older.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Drooping and angel wing are 2 different things, angel wing is when the wing sticks out [looks similar to a hitch hiker thumb] and drooping wings is usually when blood feathers are coming in and wings are getting heavy and they are building muscle to hold up the wings but have to keep putting them back up in position . If your ducks wings look like Turbos then it's angel wing and if it wasn't treated when they started growing in then there isn't much can be done except trimming the feathers to keep them from catching on things. like you'd do to keep them from flying.

6. zook

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I have not managed to get Turbo bound yet. Everything I tried he layed down and refused to get up or fell over. Keeping his legs free but trapping the wings is so hard. Hard in I have trouble but Turbo just stands and lets me do anything. Actually I can lay him on his back and he just lets me monkey around with my redneck ideas until I decide they won't work. Then he wants to cuddle into my neck for a few minutes. What a baby. The wife does not want to stress him and just clip his wing feathers after they grow in. Would that look retarded. He looks like a 737 jumbo jet right now running around the yard. Should be able to get out Tuesday to get some of that wrap that sticks to it self.so that may work.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Try the wrap but honestly if your fine with this then when he finishes getting in his wing feathers just clip them back like you would to keep him from flying but you'll be doing both. I can give you a good web site that shows how to do it. Plus angel wing is not a disease or in any way detrimental to his health, but keeping his wings clipped will help him look better and keep him from damaging his wings on something. What a sweet pic you painted of him snuggling into your neck my drake still does this too and he's 2.5 yrs old. [​IMG]

8. zook

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    For you Miss Lydia Turbo cuddling
    [​IMG]

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by