Droopy wings, sleepy, slow movements HELP!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nanaluvsgps, Feb 15, 2013.

1. nanaluvsgps

nanaluvsgps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    My baby boy who now is approximately 5 months old was just lying on the ground not moving eyes closed. When I went up to him he woke up but didn't move. When I put some food in his bowl he took like 1 step every 5 seconds. His wings are droopy and they keep on twitching. Whats wrong with margo, any advice would be good. thanks naomi

2. nanaluvsgps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    Just before I was giving him some water out of the hose (he drank by himself) then right after we turned the hose off he either had a seizure or fit and could not stop shaking for like 5-10 seconds. I hope he will be ok...

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you think he could have eaten something toxic?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Something has affected his nervous system. It may be botulism or a spider bite.

If it is botulism, look at the stickies for instructions on doing a flush to get it out of his system.

In any case, he needs to be where it is reasonably cool, not out in the heat, with loads of fresh water. Keeping him company, talking to him may help, too.

Activated charcoal supplement can absorb toxins in the gut. It comes as a powder at the drugstore, sometimes in capsules. I put about a teaspoon in a pint of water. It won't harm him.

5. nanaluvsgps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    Thanks for the replies! He has down hill from last night and i'm not sure he will make it till tomorrow. He can't hold is head up anymore but he can still stand when he wants to. I'm pretty sure he has eaten something poisonous, and with all the rain down here so many things have popped up from the ground. He can't drink or eat by himself but when we put a whole lot of water in him with a syringe he coughed up all the mucus and plants/leaves/grass. His poo smelt rank and it almost had this graying tinge to it. I don't think it's botsulism from his symptons.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  6. nanaluvsgps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    He also coughed up some fluro orange juice, and I have no idea what is causing that (it's not blood). Will keep you updated!

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think a flush would still be worth a try. [​IMG]

8. nanaluvsgps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    I sat next to him yesterday and I told him if he didn't try to make it I would be very upset with him! Today I went out their and he was standing on his own, head up, and eyes open :D When I went near the cage he started wagging his tail and talking... well hissing to me ;) I filled up his water bowl and he drank a lot! I had just assumed that overnight he had tipped the water bowl and that is why it was empty. The only thing is he still can't eat but when I went to his cage this morning he just broke out into another shaking fit. Then again a few minuets later another. He seems to have them after water or when he' been hissing. What ever poison is in his system his body is hopefully getting rid of. Thanks for all the advice. p.s I have searched the yard and I can't find anything that would have poisoned him, no plants or food*, any ideas of what it was?

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    what kind of poisonous bugs you got over there? maybe. what about feed did you check to make sure it isn''t moldy? sometimes even just bought feed can be moldy and if it gets wet can mold pretty quick. Make sure he had alot of fresh water since it will help him flush out the toxin. Hope he continues to improve . [​IMG]

10. nanaluvsgps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    Their are about a million little baby cane toads about, (5c peice size) but thats about it. When I went to do the ducks food this morning it had rat poo all ove the top of it. Maybe he has eaten the food and mistakenly eaten some poo that has been baited with rat bait?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by