Droopy wings - what's wrong with our chick??

CelticMoon1

Songster
10 Years
Jul 25, 2009
We've had some bad luck with this batch probably due to temp or humidity problems in the incubator: 1 stopped developing half-way, 2 developed fully but didn't hatch, 1 was born with a leg sticking out, 1 died suddenly at 6 weeks and one at 9 weeks..

Now this chicken we thought at 7 weeks it was a roo, but at 9 the comb and wattles had stopped developing as in the other roos and the legs were slimmer than in the other roos, and we thought maybe it's a pullet after all.. Now it's wings are drooping, it's neck is hunched and it constantly looks puffed up. It eats and drinks, and doesn't seem sick other than it looks rather run down..
hit.gif

Anyone know what's wrong with it?? Do we let it out of it's misery or should we hope it improves?

At 7 weeks:
1-1.jpg

At 11 weeks:
Hnepuff.jpg

I know the coloring is all off for a SLW but it's so tame and nice we'd like to keep her as a pet if she's got any hopes..

have you checked for mites? has she been wormed? maybe bugs are the problem?

All have been treated with spot-on (not because they had it, but the adults had leg mites and were treated for it, and we treated the chickens as well before letting them stay even close to the adults) so it shouldn't be mites. I've checked and didn't see any either. They haven't been wormed though - could it be that? Only she's the only one with these signs. She's kept with only one of the roos so the others should be safe if it's contagious.

All have been treated with spot-on (not because they had it, but the adults had leg mites and were treated for it, and we treated the chickens as well before letting them stay even close to the adults) so it shouldn't be mites. I've checked and didn't see any either. They haven't been wormed though - could it be that? Only she's the only one with these signs. She's kept with only one of the roos so the others should be safe if it's contagious.

She gets chicken feed, veggies, berries, macaroni, rice, and anything she can forage outside in a 4 by 2 voliere. She's kept on sawspoon (I think it is called..? not sawdust but coarser) and straw indoors.

Quote:
Bedding indoors is dry too. They have access to a heating bulb but she doesn't lie under it more than her brother, and he looks fine. She is on the bare ground outdoors though that area is roofed..

Back
Top Bottom