droopy wings

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Loulla, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Loulla

Loulla Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    kroonstad
    i have 3 egyptian goslings with droopy wings, so much so that they hang to the ground infront of their legs. I fed them broiler chic grow then only crushed yellow maize and back on grower for the last 2 weeks. They have droopy wings about 4 days now. HELP!

2. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    HOW OLD ARE THEY BECAUSE I ONLY FEED A GROWTH WATERFOWL OR GAMEBIRD FEED FOR THEIR FIRST 3 WEEKS. THEN CHANGE THEM OVER TO ADULT WATERFOWL OR GAMEBIRD FEED. THIS IS SO THEY DO NOT GET THE DROOPY WINGS.
    Just change them over to the adult waterfowl or game bird feed. Plus as the wings grow they are heavy and the muscle has to be worked out to help them get more control of the wings,
    Hope this helps a bit for you. Make sure they are getting plenty of green grass. You can even feed romaine lettuce, kale, cabbage right now it is early and my brain is not thinking of all the greens you can feed. Turnip greens.
    This is so they do not get a much protein too much can cause wing problems..

[​IMG]

3. Loulla

Aug 16, 2013
    kroonstad
    they are about 9 weeks old now. Can I give them crushed yellow maize and greens?

4. RURU

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    More so the greens than maize which is corn. Most important is greens remembered dandelion greens, celery cut up some, tomatoes cut up, grapes cut in half red or green they like berries, apples cut up, pears, collard greens, broccoli.
    Others might step in and ad more. This diet helps prevent the TWT or angle wing. Right now your's are just drooping and that means there is blood in them now and they need to keep working them like when running with the wings out.
    Corn is more like a treat food they get every now and then..

5. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Ruru...

Why do you say 'This is so they do not get a much protein too much can cause wing problems" maize is LOW in protein. what are you saying? What is the protein level of maise?

Clint

6. RURU

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Hello Clint and we have been through this before. I use corn only as a treat..... People can do as they like I just do not feed very much corn use it as a treat like candy for geese. Geese are mainly grass eaters as you should know so like to feed them more so greens and fruits along with the waterfowl feed or game bird feed.....

7. Speceider

Apr 4, 2011
    You said maize has too much protein...It's about 8% but you commenty about too much protein.

Clint

8. Speceider

Apr 4, 2011
    How many egyptians (sheldgeese) have you raised? You are the expert.

Clint

(I have raised several dozen)

9. Loulla

Aug 16, 2013
    kroonstad
    clint could you also give me some advice

10. Speceider

Apr 4, 2011
    I tend to believe that wings droop when the young don't get enough exercise. Are they in a small pen? I prefer to turn them loose in a pen thatzx's at least 50x50 and if it's hot and they just want to sit, I'll herd them around periodically.

Clint

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by