Drop box hen house design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by randombrad, Nov 4, 2014.

1. randombrad

randombrad Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2014
    id like some feedback with these designs. At the end of the trough would be an egg basket, also curved tubes would be below holes to soften impact
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. randombrad

May 2, 2014
    Ya I would have to test the best angles, and maybe spring loaded levers to lower eggs slowly

4. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Why have the holes? Consider having the roll out "roll into" the trough at the end. If you want the eggs to gather at one end, then stagger the nest boxes with the incline/decline in the trough. Without the eggs falling there would be no need to devise any cushioning system, other than astroturf to slow them down.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  5. randombrad

May 2, 2014
    It's easier to adjust the angle of the trough instead of adjusting the positions of the boxes

6. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

[​IMG]
    If you haven't already seen it, this is Kuhl's version. Just add a trough. However, that egg may pick up some speed from one end to the other.

7. randombrad

May 2, 2014
    Ya I have seen that before, I hope to test some ways of slowing down the eggs with mechanisms that I didn't render in the drawings, such as spring loaded levers that lower the egg down the whole

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Bottom of nest is not angled to the hole? Need a section side view.

Egg is not likely to hit that hole, use a nest wide slot instead, then single angled plane for bottom of nest will always direct egg into trough.

With that many nests, would service about 50 hens, your going to need a larger receptacle for eggs to gather at the end of the trough without piling/backing up and causing breakage.

A curved tube could actually accelerate egg velocity.

I'd avoid any mechanisms.
    I wonder how the big egg producers do it?
    Is this a engineering school project?

9. randombrad

May 2, 2014
    I could staple the astro turf high in the corners of the box so that it would guide the egg to the hole.

To prevent the eggs from breaking I was thinking of a wheel with stiff rubber seperators located above the trough at the end before the basket.

[​IMG]

10. randombrad

May 2, 2014
    updated design
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by