1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Droped egg on the roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BigRedRoo, Dec 17, 2013.

1. BigRedRoo

BigRedRoo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    So every day I go out and thiers the same number of eggs but one short. So I find out today that thier was five or six soft shelded eggs droped in the poop trays. What causes ;1) a soft shell when their is plenty of oyster shell and they all eat it. And only one out of 13 birds is this way? I say one because im only ever missing one egg. I cant catch her droping it on the roost to know who it is. That leads me to #2) what causes her to know she has a bad egg and drops it on the roost instead of in the box. The shell is not quite formed all the way and usually has a look like its dusty!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If it is a young bird just starting or an older one returning to lay, it hopefully is just her egg laying system getting in gear and it will straighten out in a little while. It usually is not related to a lack of calcium as such, it can be related to the bird's ability to use calcium or a defective shell gland. If it is just one bird, I would be inclined to think it is a problem specific to her, and probably not diet/ disease/ disturbances. They often drop them in odd places or from the roost since they don't go through the system normally and the hens often don't realize it is an egg, or since the timing is off, if they happen to be on the roost they just drop them there (hens won't get off the roost at night to lay even a normal egg). T
    here is a list of causes on The Poultry Site ...
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs

3. BigRedRoo

BigRedRoo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks so much for the helpfull insite. Definetly a new bird coming into lay and its once a week or so only. Thanks again
    LOVE BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by